Notices

Craving a drink ugh

Old 12-16-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Craving a drink ugh

Really feeling irritated and would looove a drink right now. I just keep thinking about drinking what is wrong with me! This anxiety medicine the dr gave me makes me jumpy. Oh well day two, just need to keep busy and try to relax. Any things u guys find helpful fighting these cravings?
Old 12-16-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

you can get through this

and thanks for reminding me where I once was, I don't envy you right now, I've been there...

keep moving forward and stay strong!

You are keeping me sober right now. I thank you very much!

Read a book you enjoy or do something nice for you, a manicure or something...
Old 12-16-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

To quote finding nemo "just keep swimming" lol
Old 12-16-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your Sober Friend

You can do it. I know it's hard but just think about all the pain and suffering alcohol has caused you. Imagine how you'll feel when you wake up tomorrow morning. You could also try writing a list of why you want to drink, and why you shouldn't drink. Tell yourself that the urge is only temporary and it will pass. I know you can do it.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try going for a walk, watching a movie, writing in a journal, listen to music, anything to distract yourself from drinking. Maybe try taking a nap. The first week or 2 was really tough for me but now a lil over 2 months sober I can say it has def been worth it. Maybe making a list of pros vs cons of drinking will help. Or just hangin around SR or in the chat room.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Play the tape through-what's it going to look and feel like when you wake up after you start drinking? You can do this!

Walking really helps when I'm feeling this way, cranking some tunes and going for a breather around the lake. Write what you're feeling and thinking down, reflect. Call someone you trust.

Hang in there!

Xx
Old 12-16-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your Sober Friend

SugarBear had an excellent point. Thank you for helping us all stay sober Karadawn.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You could try this little game: set a stopwatch and time your craving. I found that mine seldom lasted more than 5 minutes. Usually my mind would drift off to something else around the three minute mark. Cravings aren't much fun, but the more you say "no" to them, the easier it is to keep saying "no".
Old 12-16-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

This technique was useful to me:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D
Old 12-16-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks guys. I'm cleaning the house to keep busy it's kind of helping. I would love to go for a run but it's pretty cold here in Nebraska. The evenings are always way tougher. I'm going to work on my pro and con list I think that will def help.

I really appreciate the encouragement I hate feeling alone
Old 12-16-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I dont even know what a craving really is. To me I think its anxiety. Point is I have been sober for nearly 7 months and they always go away. They still worry me, but that is getting less and less. I had them alot these past few weeks, but just look at it as a sign your body is getting better and the nasty part of you is dying. It doesnt go down without a fight, but you are beating it even by posting on here.