Notices

Drinking while I cook

Old 12-16-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking while I cook

I always drink while I am in the kitchen cooking. Well at least I used to. Just talked to a friend who is baking cookies and I thought about drunk cooking.
I am careful with my measurements when I am sober. I don't have drunk inspiration and tweak the recipe and turn out something that is weird. You have to be drunk to eat it kind of thing.
What did I replace the booze with? This website. I noticed my habit yesterday. Put something in the oven, set the timer, and go sit on my computer checking out what's going on here.
What a marvelous and healthy way to pass the time while I wait. I am sure anyone who eats my creation appreciates it too.
I wish I could send all of you a sober cookie!!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

There's a reason I have over 8000 posts now!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am like you escapist, always drank while I was cooking the evening meal. Unfortunately I used to get really carried away at times and some of my "creations" were inedible. I'm now trying to stick to a healthy simple diet.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Drinking while cooking for me has sometimes lead to putting the meal in the fridge and going to sleep without eating. Julia Child comes to mind.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by renaldo View Post
Drinking while cooking for me has sometimes lead to putting the meal in the fridge and going to sleep without eating. Julia Child comes to mind.
I read somewhere that Julia Child had a drinking problem??? I was a big fan of hers when I lived in the US, but thinking back she did seem to slur her words!

I just could never remember eating what I cooked and then the next morning when I saw the leftovers I couldn't understand how I ate what I did!
Old 12-16-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I drank and cooked. Cooking became sort of an event...would begin at like 10am and continue until I had at least 12 beers in me. Usually by then I wasn't hungry anymore, and everybody who had been waiting on food had either eaten something else, or was upset at how long they had to wait.

I was a misunderstood culinary artiste. LOL.

Now my cooking takes about 45 minutes, tops.
Zube
Old 12-16-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've found out that I really enjoy cooking in sobriety

Makes a nice change from nearly burning Mum and Dad's place down when I had a hankering for bacon or the like and was still drinking 0_o
Old 12-16-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just checked on YouTube and am surprised it's not there, but I believe it was John Cleese who did a spoof of Julia Child. Whilst chopping food, a bit fell on the floor and he kneeled down to retrieve it and availed himself of the opportunity to swig some wine while out of sight of the camera. Eventually he ended up cutting himself while dicing food and the blood was spurting. Funny, but in actual fact, if I cut myself shaving, my blood is so thin that it just keeps bleeding.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So funny. Thinking back, Julia left a lot of the cooking to her guests and would often have a glass of wine besides her in the kitchen. She certainly didn't look the healthiest of people. Quite a character though.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I used to do vodka shooters inbetween tasks. There were many times when I finished cooking I did not eat. I layed down.

Glad you are sober cooking! I am too!
Old 12-16-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bon Appetit!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zube View Post
Yeah, I drank and cooked. Cooking became sort of an event...would begin at like 10am and continue until I had at least 12 beers in me. Usually by then I wasn't hungry anymore, and everybody who had been waiting on food had either eaten something else, or was upset at how long they had to wait.

I was a misunderstood culinary artiste. LOL.

Now my cooking takes about 45 minutes, tops.
Zube
Yes, I've been to a few dinner parties over the years where the host/hostess has been drunk....quite hilarious sometimes.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just occurred to me this past week that that is one of the things that I struggle with. Always had wine flowing during prep work. Oh well. Been since march so I pray not to circum to it. Still enjoy cooking without. Just find myself washing dishes between tasks instead of taking a drink.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Not quite the same kind of drunk-cooking, but I once attempted to cook a frozen pizza in a frying pan without removing any of the packaging.

Can't see myself doing that now a-days!
Old 12-16-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am thinking about my mother in law's recipe for sauce (she is an amazing cook, I cook because my children need to eat!) she made sure that there was a glass of wine for the cook as well as the wine that np went into the sauce. Wonder if that is why I heaven't made my own sauce lately.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRo View Post
Not quite the same kind of drunk-cooking, but I once attempted to cook a frozen pizza in a frying pan without removing any of the packaging.

Can't see myself doing that now a-days!

I can imagine the smell!!
Old 12-16-2012, 05:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I once made a concoction with what I had from the food pantry. Gov't issued canned pork, leftover flavor packets from ramen, and God knows what else. I ate some of it and went to sleep. When I tried it the next day, it became apparent that my taste buds were not firing on all cylinders the previous night. The Bitch's Brew was so bad, I just threw it out and chalked it up to experience.

Cooking while drunk. Kind of like running with scissors I guess. Not recommended.

When I was younger and had long hair, people used to mistake me for Weird Al. It got so off the hook that I started a contest at work. Whoever guessed the number of times people who called me Weird Al in a year won the kitty. I believe it was 32 times in that year.

Once I accepted that Weird Al is smart, funny, successful, and makes people laugh, no one called me Weird Al anymore. Perhaps it was some insecurity in myself that I felt "weird." Once I accepted who I was, it became a non-issue and literally dropped off the map in one fell swoop.

This perhaps dovetails with people's concerns about what to say about why they're not drinking. Us alkies think a lot more about drinking than most people do. If someone's badgering you about why you aren't drinking, perhaps (s)he's not a good friend.

:day1
Attached Images
Old 12-16-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I drank wine while I cooked....then I ended up not hungry and forgetting why I was in the kitchen at all!!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I used to burn everything that I cooked when I was drinking. My boyfriend would eat it because he doesn't like to cook but he daughter would ask for something else. Now, my boyfriend compliments me on everything that I make and his daughter asks for seconds. While I am definitely not losing weight after quitting alcohol, I am really enjoying great food for the first time in a long. long time. I would rather put on a few pounds and enjoy food then burn everything and be drunk.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I used to work with a woman. Her husband was from Lima, Peru. He was attempting to bake cookies while smoking pot. She came home to a smoke filled kitchen and him with beet red eyes staring at the oven. He said, "I kept looking at the little red light on the oven and it kept going off, so I thought I needed to turn the temperature up. My cookies never come out as good as yours do."