Notices

Day 17 - Please cheer me up :)

Old 12-16-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 17 - Please cheer me up :)

Today I’ve been feeling a little strange. Lonely and sad, I suppose. After I post this I’m going to take a little walk just to clear my head, but I’ll be excited to read any replies when I get home. Also, I think that part of my sadness is to do with PMS … come to think of it I’ve been drinking my PMS away for years and was probably too sloshed to notice it. Light-bulb moment!
I certainly don’t want to drink, but I do feel a little weary. Anyway, I’ll stop moaning. Mainly I wanted to ask for some inspirational thoughts or happy stories from some fellow alcoholics in recovery. Normally I’d harass my Dad, but he is away at a conference so I’m feeling a bit stuck.
I do know, when I watch my thoughts closely, that I have made a fantastic decision, and that I have regained control of my life. I suppose coming to terms with the parts of it which are in a state of disrepair is part of realising my reassumed control. I keep concentrating on things I’ve done, which are deeply shameful and fill me with regret … but they also reinforce my resolve to stay sober. It’s a long and hard lesson, I suppose.
I also finished two assignments on Friday, felt a massive buzz, and then had a nice weekend with my boyfriend’s children and my family. Tomorrow I find out the sex of my best-friend’s unborn baby, and I’m very excited for that. I think I need something to get my teeth into before I begin to dwell upon my uncomfortable past … luckily I have two more assignments to go. Thanks for reading. Sorry for being a misery.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Ro!

We all go through different emotions, and even that PMS thing, but drinking never helped with that in my case.

I just want to say cheer up and everything will be fine. Look at the positive side of things instead of negative.

#1 - you've been sober 17 days!! That is awesome in itself.

You deserve a big pat on the back and a :ghug3
Old 12-16-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Time for a little comfort food of your choice, a warm bubble bath and some music. Be nice to you. Let go of the emotions, if you need to. Journal your thoughts and feelings. You are healing.

Give time time. You can keep moving forward and do this!!!!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, SoberRo!

Congrats on 17 Days! It's great achievement, but you are still early in your recovery. Just be easy and gentle with yourself, let time pass and your emotions sort out. It will get better, I can tell you).

Take care, you are doing great.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd second sugarbears suggestion. Time for a little self indulgence.
Congratulations on 17 days sober.....that's awesome!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey SoberRo....you are not a downer...you sound sweet and sensitive. I hope your walk was nice and that you were able to get out of your head a little. It made me smile when you said you usually go to your dad when you feel like this. I also went to my dad at these times and he almost always had the answers. He died nine years ago at age 88. motorcycle accident. He was awesome and i am not sad because he went just as he was supposed to go. never had to suffer at all. he was a recovering alcoholic and celebrated his 25 years of sobriety by skydiving (at age 80) Give your dad a big hug from me! Best wishes and God Bless.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As a man, I was hesitant to respond to a post that references PMS. Experience has taught me that it is better to keep a low profile and make myself scarce. I am going to risk it though. : )

I am glad you posted. Congrats on 17 days. My emotions were like a roller coaster during the first month so don't be too hard on yourself. You have made some great decisions and some great progress. You really should be proud about that. Focus on the great changes you have already made. Feelings are just that....."feelings". They come and go, good and bad, blah, blah, blah. They are lagging indicators. Stick with what you know is right. Things do get better! Feelings will too eventually.

Enjoy your next few days : )
Old 12-16-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilyrosemary View Post
Hey SoberRo....you are not a downer...you sound sweet and sensitive. I hope your walk was nice and that you were able to get out of your head a little. It made me smile when you said you usually go to your dad when you feel like this. I also went to my dad at these times and he almost always had the answers. He died nine years ago at age 88. motorcycle accident. He was awesome and i am not sad because he went just as he was supposed to go. never had to suffer at all. he was a recovering alcoholic and celebrated his 25 years of sobriety by skydiving (at age 80) Give your dad a big hug from me! Best wishes and God Bless.
What a lovely post! Thank you so much, you've reminded me of the importance of being positive, grateful and strong
Old 12-16-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I only had a little walk and ran straight back to check responses (and now I'm making a hot water bottle because it is SO SO COLD!) ...

Thank you everybody, I feel much better after my jaunt and reading your responses at times I find sobriety really overwhelming, I never thought I could have so many feelings about things! I feel so invested in everything I do (which is a good job really, I'm a student nurse!) - but I almost feel like I could cry today, and I never, ever cry!

But, surely it's a wonderful thing to be alive and alight with emotions
Old 12-16-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hug!!!!!! Your doing great! Def look at the positive and take your time as much as you can with your emotions. You'll work them out in time. If u feel like u should shed a few tears then do it. It does provide a feeling of relief. Talk to you soon!

Adam
Old 12-16-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 17 days!! Having emotion is a great thing. and without some rainy days, the sunshine wouldn't have meaning!

The beauty of life and the beauty of the world is all around you- all you have to do is take it in

Good luck (:
Old 12-16-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good decision to stay sober. 17 days is great. I felt so low when I first stopped drinking. At 6 weeks I was still depressed. I feel better today. You will start feeling more optimistic too. Hot water bottle sounds like a winner.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Exercise is a wonderful way to clear your mind. Take some ibuprofen for the pms. It'll help. I'm on day 12 went to Shambhala Buddhist center for meditation to help clear out unwanted thoughts. I will start the 12 path recovery this Wednesday night. You're not alone sweetie, stay strong, you'll smile tomorrow.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks to everybody for such encouraging replies. I'm now on day 19 and feeling good!
Old 12-18-2012, 02:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hang in there SoberRo...maybe my the time you read this it will be day 20...haaaa day 20 sounds great I bet. I'm on day 78 so not that much in front of you....yes buddy.....lets do this.)
Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Jumping in to give you a hug and say I'm so glad you are here! You are doing great!

Totally awesome amazing awareness about your pms link, that is huge to see a possible trigger.

How are you today?
Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm new and I'm only on day 7, after being a heavy drinker for 20 years.Something happened to make me stop drinking and I'm determined never to drink again.
I'm glad you're feeling better, and good luck with your journey to sobriety.