Notices

Benadryl Comedown, Scared

Old 12-15-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Benadryl Comedown, Scared

About 2 weeks ago, I have been taking 6-14 25mg benadryl pills at once daily to try to treat my bad insomnia.. i did that for 2 weeks. Imm lets just say YOUNG and I will be deleting this account after I hopefully get some feedback in respect of people suffering from things way more severe. But ever since I stopped I've been experiencing things like: ringing ears, fuzzy vision(like an old tv), worse eczema, shaking, and I often feel in the verge of vomitting. Im very scared, too embarrased to acklowledge anyone except you guys. DETAILS: Im female, weigh about 125lbs., have low blood pressure, and asthma. Am I just overacting? Please help.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((asdfg)) - I don't think you're over-reacting, but I do think you need to be checked out by a dr. Even over-the-counter meds can be dangerous when taken to excess, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-15-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am glad you posted. Please reconsider deleting your account as you are very welcome here. There have been quite a number of threads related to benadryl. I've also seen it abused by some of my in-laws.
There are a lot of good people here with a wealth of advice and experience. I know they have helped me. Please stick around to benefit from it and also so you can help others who may also be struggling.
Most immeditely though, I would say you are not over reacting. I really urge you to get help from your doctor to keep yourself safe. Then come back here and work with the rest of us to get truly well and healthy.
All the best to you.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thankyouuuu ^__^ Do you have any experience with confrontation? I honestly don't know how to tell my parents, I am already very ashamed of myself and I'm afraid to hear their reacion.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

if you don't want to tell your parents, tell your doctor.....they can help you, not judge you.

you might really benefit from some FTF individual counseling as to why you are not sleeping and abusing OTC meds. sometimes benydril has the opposite effect on me, it keeps me up at night.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is scary, but as my "signature line" says......being afraid of something is reason enough to do it. Enough pie-in-the-sky words though. I honestly just believe that you need to get help with this. Your post would indicate very real physical symptoms that can only be diagnosed by a medical professional. We are not allowed nor qualified to give medical advice on this site for obvious reasons.

Everyone's relationships are unique but I am sure your parents love you and will want to help. Fear and shame really are not good for many of us on this site. Those feelings often are part of what led us to self-medicate, drink or otherwise try to "escape". Try to put those feelings away for now and just get the immediate help you need. THere is plenty of time to work on the other steps of getting better but in my opinion, you need to be brave and take this first one.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

((asdfg)) - Though not the same situation, I did something pretty dumb when I was a teenager (knocked my hip out of alignment pretending to be a cheerleader)...didn't want my mom asking me "how could you have been so DUMB?!" Years and years later, I told her about it, that I didn't tell her because I was afraid of what she'd say.

She said "yeah, I would have asked you that, but I also would have taken you to the doctor!" I also know that sometimes I come across angry when I'm scared - a lot of people do. Please talk to your parents and see about getting checked out.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-15-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When I was younger and had bad insomnia I would down a bottle of NyQuil in 2 nights. My mom had a boyfriend living in the house at that time. She thought it was him and I let it slide. I felt so guilty. I felt horrible not sleeping, and I could feel myself becoming addicted the more I used this stuff for sleep!

It was hard, but I eventually told her how bad my insomnia was and that I needed help sleeping in a more healthy way.

I agree with Happier. Be brave and take the first step. Like taking off a bandaid. Just rip it off. Just talk to them, let it out. Let them help you.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome asdfg

I'd recommend seeing a Dr if you're worried.

If you need to involve your parents in that process, I think it's best to be as honest and open as you have been here....some things trump embarrassment I think and health/well being certainly does.

D
Old 12-15-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You guys are all right, as soon as I regather myself...Im gonna try. Thankyou and I Wish you luck on your recovery.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hope you feel better soon. Keep us posted. We are rooting for you and there is always someone here.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Serenity Now!

back in the day, i used to drink a lot of those neo citran drinks to help with sleep(around 8 or so a night). never had anything like what youre feeling, but im still alive.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've used Benadryl in an abusive way too. I was a chronic insomnia sufferer and I often turned to alcohol and Benadryl to sleep. I remember taking far too much one night and getting "brain zaps" and dizziness. You can't fool around with high doses of it. Your body is probably going through a withdrawal period from it. Stay off it! It can be habit forming and even dangerous!
Old 12-15-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Did you quit through the doctor or cold turkey? Are the physical effects gone?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by asdfg View Post
Did you quit through the doctor or cold turkey? Are the physical effects gone?
Sorry, I guess that was too personal of a question may I inbox you?