Notices

16 days, first post...

Old 12-14-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

16 days, first post...

Hey everyone. I havent had a drink for 16 days, as the title said, but I still have a terrible time sleeping. I am 26 years old and drank nightly/very heavily fir over 2 years. I recently went n vacay and really outdid myself... I went through some very severe hallucinations/sweats/hypnic jerks/and overall anxiety...while still in another country. I came back and did not drink for over a week. Then one night I had 4 beers and 3 or 4 solo cup shots (not filled just more like a triple or quad shot). I was laid out for 4 days, out of work and basically bed ridden with anxiety and nausea and the whole bit all over again. Now 16 nights later i still have severe anxiety and cannot sleep at all without taking a doctor perscribed xanax to slow my rattled mind. I guess what im trying to ask is if the sleep is normal and if it will get any better...how long???
Old 12-14-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome bostongeorge. the sleep issues improve with time. you may need to see a doctor since you"re having to take more meds to help you quit the booze. this is a great site for addiction and you will get plenty of support and encouragement. you may also want to attend a meeting in your area to help start your recovery. good luck
Old 12-14-2012, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been in and out of docs for the past 3 weeks. He perscribed xanax for anxiety and to help me get to sleep easier. Still racing mind and a desperate want for a drink to "cure it all." If that makes sense. Thought about asking for sleeping meds instead of xanax because the worst anxiety is at night when trying to sleep. Hours starting at my ceiling or tablet.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
DAB

I have been sober for over a year and still have a hard time with sleep.
I take Valerian Root to help with that.
I had a hard time sleeping when I was drinking too but at least I would get pass out sleep for a few hours. I think a lot of it has to do with the hours I work. I start at 5:00 am, so my alarm goes off at 3:45am.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes I work long days at work as well. I've read some other posts and they have talked about the valerien root. My wife suggested melatonin. Not sure if it's a good idea after reading some other posts about that.. my stomach still has cramps even right now. Hopefully I'll get to sleep soon. Work early.....is the cramps normal to still be occuring 15 days after a drink?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What you are going through is quite normal for heavy drinkers who stop. It gets better with each passing day. Just don't drink!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the support evveryone. I truly do not want to drink again. Not to have to do this all over again. Its just so easy to say. Another to do. Everyone i know drinks very heavily, makes it so hard to get someone who understands. Thanks so much for being here when I had no where elseto turn.