Notices

Great tool

Old 12-14-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I can do anything!!!

Great tool

So I sat down today to read through hierarchy of values worksheet in smart recovery. I started writing down what is important to me and chose my top 5. I moved on to the next part thinking that I had a lot of work ahead to complete this. That is not true though. I was very surprised at how it went. So simple. Alcohol was not on my list yet I have been using it like it is the most important thing. Anyway, here are my top 5....
1. My kids
2. Our physical and emotional well being
3. Finding love
4. Self sufficiency
5. Our future

Quitting drinking will get me so much closer to all of this. I have been single for over 7 years. I don't trust men whatsoever and I never will unless I understand why I don't. I will never understand that until I take the time to get to know myself -alcohol free. Obviously I have an idea as to why.
Great exercise though. It really surprised me.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I found the SMART tools to be a great way to simply slow down and take stock of what is really important to me. They also helped me to learn how to react in constructive ways that used to make me nutz and just throw up my arms. And drink. Much better, now I feel so much more in control of myself, more accepting, more serene. Ommmmmmmmmm.

I noted that you put 'self-sufficiency' right up there in the Top 5. Me too, absolutely. That is why the only path for me to sobriety involved learning new tools and gaining a better understanding of how this noggin works. Through tools like SMART and AVRT.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know this is an old thread, but I love the HOV (Hierarchy of Values) tool at SMART and go back and reevaluate mine sometimes. My HOV at this point in time:

1. Recovery
2. Health
3. Family
4. Writing
5. Financial Independence

It's a tool that helps with Building Motivation, Coping with Urges, Problem Solving, and Lifestyle Balance. It's one of my favorite SMART tools.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this, it is a great tool x