Notices

How to help husband

Old 12-14-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to help husband

Hi! This is my first time to post. My husband is a highfunctioning alcoholic and up till just a month ago I had never even heard of that word.
I don't understand it completely but I know he's going down hill fast.
He hardly eats and now has blackouts and he had decided after 23 1/2 years he no longer wants to be married, he wants to basically just walk away from our life, our home, marriage, his dog, etc.
I don't have any friends or family here and I could really use someone to talk to.
I'm trying now to get any information I can find on how to deal with the terrible things he says to me and how after he's had a few drinks to not provoke him or make him get angry, because anything I say seems to make him angry.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Help your husband by helping yourself. Set boundaries... what is acceptable behavior, all that.

Sounds like he needs some medical attention, but if he doesn't want it... well...

Alcoholism sux, and unfortunately it takes hostages.... Prayers to you... we have a friends and family section... check it out!!

Welcome and prayers to you.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome sarnold. I'm sorry about your situation. Alcoholism is no joke. And it doesn't give a damn about family.

Please do check out the friends and family forum, you will get some great advice there.

-SD
Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome to SR sarnold. I'm so sorry for the situation you're in.

Have you looked into Alanon in your area? Alanon is for friends and family of alcoholics. There are people here that have much more experience than I with it but it has helped many many people.

You'll find a ton of support here. A great place to start is the stickies in the Friends and Family section.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm sorry for your situation and I hope you find some support for yourself.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sarnold View Post
Hi! This is my first time to post. My husband is a highfunctioning alcoholic and up till just a month ago I had never even heard of that word.
I don't understand it completely but I know he's going down hill fast.
He hardly eats and now has blackouts and he had decided after 23 1/2 years he no longer wants to be married, he wants to basically just walk away from our life, our home, marriage, his dog, etc.
I don't have any friends or family here and I could really use someone to talk to.
I'm trying now to get any information I can find on how to deal with the terrible things he says to me and how after he's had a few drinks to not provoke him or make him get angry, because anything I say seems to make him angry.
Seems like the ability to money is about the last thing many of us Alkies loose. And society will say we are doing fine as long as we are maintaining material goals.
Dying physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually until life collapses like a gallows floor. Sounds like me in the late 80's.

Al-Anon will help you understand what's happening and AA will help him if he seeks it.

All the best.

Bob R