Notices

First Post

Old 12-14-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post

I've been here a week or so reading posts and thought I should really start posting.

The last 12 months I have been aware I have a problem with alcohol and have tried 3 times to stop the most I done was 46 days and that was up unitl Nov 3rd and since then I have more than likely have had a drink every night. Although I have been back drinking I know there would come a time I would have to try to quit again and planned a fresh start in the new year. (hence my user name)

Two nights ago I drunk more than I planned and ended up attacking my husband and screaming at him while my children slept. I am very digusted with myself and can't beleive how easy he has forgiven me. He know I'm going through a lot of stress at the moment and like me is holding out for a fresh start in the new year.

I feel I need to make a start today it may only be a few weeks until the new year and I don't want to risk what I may do in drink over the next few weeks.

I have tried AA and know that's not for me I think it's wonderful how it has worked for many and I have tried many different meeting and found they were all to much for me to cope with so I need to find a new way to approach it this time and looking I found this website.

I don't want to sound stupid when I say I have not got much time at the moment (I know I should make time) but am desperate not to drink, I have an exam next week as well as my son's birthday and then xmas the week after and I have not began my shopping and to add to all that I'm going through a big huge family row so have not got the support of my parents.

I would appreciate any tips on just getting through one day at a time.

Thanks for reading.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Post as much as you need to! You will get a lot of advice on how to stay sober as well as support. Also, look at the top of this forum and maybe get some ideas on books to read.

How about therapy or outpatient rehab? I couldn't do it alone and you have many options besides AA.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My first post was yesterday Cariad. I don't think AA is right for me either. Group things bring out my anxiety. I'm going to try a one on one counselling to get sober and off the Xanax. Best wishes to you and Elisabeth is right. This place is great. Keep posting and talking.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Cariad

It might be worth looking into AVRT if you haven't got much time. The crash course online should be enough to help you stay sober x
Old 12-14-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((Cariad)) - Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-16-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Cariad, your post has resonated with me
I too am planning on having my final drink on 31 December, with a fresh DRY start for 2013. And I understand what you mean about having family stresses to deal with, certainly doesn't make it easier. Not too mention the drunken tantrums directed at our other half. I sometimes wonder why my boyfriend stays around after I lose it with him in one of my black outs. The guilt and shame is sometimes unbearable and I can't understand why those feelings don't jumpstart me to quit the poison.
I think I have been hoping, praying that I can be one of those people that can drink moderately given it is so socially accepted and expected in my area. Majority of the time I can drink without causing a complete sh*tfight, but it's those few occassions that scare the hell out of me.
good luck with 2013 and I hope we get sober sooner rather than later.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR Just keep reading and posting