I can smell it...

Old 12-13-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can smell it...

Well today should be a week....and as far as he is concerned that is what myself and his temporary AA sponsor believe. However, as I am not a drinker (I currently have a major HATE on for alcohol of any kind), I smelled it last night on his breath. So obviously he is not only lying to me and others, but himself which is the worst. I did not however, confront him as this would cause a scene, just knowing is enough for me. I was able to get through it though and went to bed praying that today would be a better day. I wish it was easy to just part ways but like life it isnt. I am going to pray and go to work and just think....
Old 12-13-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

gosh, so very sorry confusedgirl.

He is doing exactly what addicts do. Hope you are able to turn the focus to yourself and take care of you.

Sending you support.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mmmm, yeah been there. Don't blame you for not saying a word no reason to waste time listening to a denial.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

BTDT and ruined the t-shirt!

The smell. It's an *In your face* smell that no one can deny but they still do.

My AH, when drunk will argue with anybody that you can't smell vodka on the breath. I have, at times, told him that one shot of vodka may be undetectable but when you continuously pour, lets say water on a sponge, the sponge can't hold it after too much, and it starts seeping everywhere, dripping... Kinda like that vodka on your breath. I usually get the deer in head lights moment from him and another, I'M NOT DRINKING!

Ugh... I swear, he insults my intelligence. He thinks I'm soooooooo stupid. In actuallity, he's just lying to himself. So, I know what you are going through right now. It hurts to see them lie so blatantly to themselves #1 and to us. This is what alcohol does. He's not ready and lying is a reason to protect his drink. He will lie to protect it=he's not ready to put it down.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Confuse, it is a myth that everyone who attends AA meetings is sober. Alcoholism is very baffling & I have met folks who have tried to use AA to reduce their drinking. Which did not work. I have known folks who were "drunk as a skunk" get a 30dy or 6 month sobriety chip. Not saying AA doesn't work but sometimes it takes a while before true sobriety is achieved. Believe me though, he is not fooling his sponser or the other drunks in the room.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Confuse, it is a myth that everyone who attends AA meetings is sober. Alcoholism is very baffling & I have met folks who have tried to use AA to reduce their drinking. Which did not work. I have known folks who were "drunk as a skunk" get a 30dy or 6 month sobriety chip. Not saying AA doesn't work but sometimes it takes a while before true sobriety is achieved. Believe me though, he is not fooling his sponser or the other drunks in the room.
When I first heard these stories, I was totally blown away - people go to AA and lie?! Really? LOL - so naive!

But what justfor1 says above is true - he's not fooling anyone, except himself, and probably not very well at that, either.

Just let him continue down this path - maybe attending and playing this role right now could turn into something more serious when he's really ready to quit. At least he knows how to get to a meeting!