Notices

Where were you when sobriety found you?

Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Where were you when sobriety found you?

So where were you when sobriety found you?

There is another topic here. One that has been asked often. But in answering it something clicked!!!

Where was ken when sobriety found him?

It found me this week actually. For the first time! I was in the hospital in pain.

Once I was sober it spoke to me. It said things like:

This is right!

This is what life's about!

This is who you are!

This is who you were meant to be!

If I choose to accept there is a voice that wants to hurt me then I must also accept there is one that wants to help me. I guess that's my SV!

I will listen to that SV. Learn what living this new way is really about.

Accept sobriety as a way of life.

Not an event.

Nothing new here but I find it helpful to have a new perspective. My old one was not working for me.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was having the worst anxiety attack of my life because of drinking when I decided I had had enough.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sobriety found me when I decided to drink away the shame of having to try real hard to remember the series of gunshots, in a salute, at my grandfathers wake. When I drank away the pain of humiliating myself, I embarrassed my family and caused my husband unneccesary worry. What I have learned in my journey is that no matter if u have 2 days or 20 years, we are all the same distance away from digging for that bottom again.... 1 drink.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by fallingtogether View Post
Sobriety found me when I decided to drink away the shame of having to try real hard to remember the series of gunshots, in a salute, at my grandfathers wake. When I drank away the pain of humiliating myself, I embarrassed my family and caused my husband unneccesary worry. What I have learned in my journey is that no matter if u have 2 days or 20 years, we are all the same distance away from digging for that bottom again.... 1 drink.
Sobriety found me vomiting into a waste paper basket in my office because I was in acute withdrawl which if you have not gone through it is a particularly unpleasent experience.

One of my AA buddies says, "Whoever got up earliest has the most sobriety."

I believe this to be true because we can throw our sobriety away in a matter of seconds by taking that first drink.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

After a failed attempt at moderation the evening before, I found myself terribly hung over and in a place of clarity.

A place where I honestly asked myself, 'Do I have a drinking problem?'
Old 12-13-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sobriety found me in withdrawal, sleepless, in the middle of the night. Disgusted by building my whole world around alcohol, I had told myself I did not have to go buy more when I ran out for this one night. I wasn't quitting, I'd just said EQ, this is ridiculous. For one night you can go without. For one night I could do without, I challenged myself.... but there I was in withdrawal.

I was sleepless and googling "insomnia and withdrawal" on my phone when I found SR. I had no thoughts of actually quitting before I found it as I had long accepted that quitting was not an option for me because I was too physically dependent on it. I thought I was destined for a life built around alcohol until I found SR....

As I read it I thought: I have a few hours in of stopping, what if I just kept going? Look at all these people doing it! I had known no one who had quit before. And no one knew I was totally dependent on it. It was a neatly sealed secret alcoholic system. A secret alcohol bubble.

So finding SR accidentally was the only thing that sparked me to even imagine the possibility of quitting. So when I say SR saved my life, I truly mean it. It did!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Sobriety didn't find me, but the cops did. Apparently it's illegal to off yourself. A little lockdown gave me a moments clarity...a switch flipped and I've never looked back.

Life can be hard, that is for certain...but even in the worst of times, nothing I've experienced since I quit has even come close to the desolate, hopeless, horrible, dark, ugliness I felt when I was addicted. I will never go back there.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Soberlicious....thank you for that post...your post just made me stop ...re read your posting and think...Alcohol has the power to really drag a person deep.

Very glad you made it back!

Jim
Old 12-13-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Sober I agree. I posted this because I need to find a little positive ness right now. But I know this is hell.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

Nod out at the wheel > Hit guardrail > Cops find empty bottle, pills, syringes > couple days in jail > Family says this is your one chance to get right and come back to the person you used to/are meant to be > Havent had a drink or drug since.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

My Grandma had just died , my immediate concern was how many bottles of whisky i should buy to cope ... cope .. Pah ! who was i trying to kid .. i was just using it as yet another excuse to not get on with living and dealing with life and to be out of it for 48 hours .

I had my last drink at 3 am 2nd sept 2011 , when i came to at 7 that morning i went on hands and knees to the toilet as my ballance was shot going up the stairs and thought what am i doing ? is this the life i want ?

I'd read the twelve steps of AA before and also the eight fold path , to me there seemed some self evident truths contained within both so i used what i'd learned and for the first time wholeheartedly and earnestly prayed to the universe for help with this .

Instantly i felt huge relief when i realized i need never drink again, if i don't want to and i never have

Bestwishes, M
Old 12-13-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Sobriety found me sitting in the back of a police car in handcuffs on the way to the hospital after threatening suicide while running in my pajamas down my driveway ... it found me again three days later when I was sitting in front of a detective and a representative from the Department of Family Services trying to explain why I had gotten drunk when I was home alone with my 14 year old disabled child. I felt like a piece of crap and the worst mother EVER.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In a hotel room after a day of drinking while travelling across country. Dont remember much of the day. God only knows how i made it. Another low moment, one of many. Its time to stop
Old 12-13-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Ummm it was about a week after a cry for attention suicide attempt that I ended up in a Cocaine Anonymous meeting whilst withdrawing and just feeling like crap. So I guess that was my first introduction to recovery. A week or so later I ended up in an NA meeting, and then an AA not long after. I can't say I found sobriety. I merely glimpsed the possibility of recovery and sobriety. I guess I'm going to say I actually found what I consider to be true sobriety not so long ago. At least in my mind true sobriety means being sober and happy at the same time.

Natom.