Notices

Newbie- family member

Old 12-13-2012, 01:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie- family member

Hi I am scribble.
I grew up in an alcoholic home. Parents divorced... bla bla bla mom re-married.

My younger brother is a meth addict of 12 years and after providing him lists of literature, finding every soup kitchen list, safe house, detox program, and rehab I know it's not me that can fix it. I have done all I could while trying to save me in the process.

I am here because I need support. I have a feeling things will continue to get much worse as they remove their hands, and I just happen to move back to my hometown via job. Being in another state or country has afforded me a buffer but man, now that I am home, I am scared.

My parents are finally taking the blinders off. My step dad had lost a son to dope, and I am sure the fear of loosing another son has keep them in the crazy cycle with my brother all these years.

Just trying to do right by me, and do right by those I love.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome scribble.

I'm sorry for your situation but I know you'll find a lot of support here.
I'm glad you've found our Family and Friends forums too

D
Old 12-13-2012, 02:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're in a tough spot for sure, scribble. I feel for you and your family.

We had a similar situation with my husband's sister. We lived in a different town from her so we were shielded a bit from her antics. But my poor mother-in-law got the brunt of it as she was a classic co-dependent.

We tried to help on occasion, mostly by giving money to my SIL when she was desperate and couldn't take care of her son (our nephew). But you know, the more we gave, the more she expected. We had to stop; we were just throwing our money away. It was so hard to do because I know it caused my MIL and nephew to suffer more.

In many ways it's really a moral and ethical decision, the decision of when and how to let go.