Starve the vampire

Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Starve the vampire

Originally post by Lightseeker! Very Interesting!

STARVE THE VAMPIRE

by Sandra Brown, MA

People with pathological behavior are energy and emotional vampires. They live off of your emotional content. Part of their personality deficit is the lack of a stable and consistent inner core of a self-concept so they need constant attention, distraction, and identity management from which they draw their identity.

Lots of their identity is acquired from their relationships since internally there is so little core self to draw from. This is part of the reason they are so exhausting. In order to get their emotional 'blood supply' from you, they 'hook you' into conversations or arguments or any kind of response they can get from you. They live vicariously thru your own emotional expressions of love, frustration, confusion, etc. It doesn't always matter 'what' emotion is fed to the vampire (although narcissists like adoration) but just that there is SOME content is enough for them--even your tears, or your screams, or your insults. It doesn't matter...they just 'need' something, anything from you in the way of content. If they don’t' get the blood supply/emotional content from you, they will seek elsewhere. (Remember Dracula? He just moved from town to town taking it where he could get it?)

So when you try to break up, he will continue to contact you which is why they are hard to break up with. They are predictable in their approaches to get you to respond to them (you are feeding the vampire his emotional blood supply every time you talk to him). These are some of his approaches and if you can get a bag of popcorn and just watch it like it was a LifeTime for Women movie and detach from it, you will see a whole movie pan out like this:

* One contact he's angry, blaming, shaming

When you don't respond to that verbally or emotionally (think like you are lobotomized with no facial expression...

* Then one contact will be sweet, loving, buy you things

When you don't respond

* He will promise to do what you've asked for years..go to counseling, church, take meds, be nice, go to anger management, stop using drugs/alcohol.

When you don't respond

* He will get angry again--say you aren't working on the relationship which is why it's going to fail

When you don't respond

* He will quit calling for a while to make it look like he's moved on (They are boomerangs, they ALWAYS come back a few times.)

When you don’t' respond

* He will indicate he found someone else or had sex with someone else

When you don't respond

* He becomes 'sick' -- he doesn't know what this mysterious illness is, or he has prostate cancer, MS, some other lethal disease

When you don't respond

* He will just go back to drinking/drugging/dealing/driving too fast/etc.

When you don't respond

* He will kill himself, leave the area, never see you again

When you don't respond

* He will threaten to take the kids, drag your a*ss thru court, threaten to harm you

When you don't respond

* He will tell you he's dating someone you hate or his previous girlfriend/wife

When you don't respond

* It will come full circle and will begin again, at the top of this list.

I know that we all think that our experiences are unique. But pathology is all the same--these people aren't very creative and don't deviate much from the strict internal structure that is associated with pathology. Once you are able to understand this, you can predict his sad/silly/stupid reactions to a break up.

Since they live off of your emotion and NEED it, the sooner you starve him out by having no contact and if you have to because of your kids, no words exchanged and no emotional content on your face, the vampire will flee to the next available source to be fed.

When someone doesn’t disconnect once they understand the feeding and maintenance of someone with pathological behavior, they are staying because THEY wants to remain.

The ball is then in your court to figure out where you are still hung up so you can disconnect. This is not a judgment about people not being able to leave. It is a POINTER to a place where the dis-engagment has hit a snag. Simply notice where the snag IS so that something can be done.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just have to respond with "it's all sooooo true!" been there, done that and so glad I made the decision take care of me. Good sharing! Great info!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think I'd want to read that book (I've done more than enough reading about strange behaviors), but if it works for you, that's good.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The phrase psychic vampire, used to describe the term in this article, was popularized by Anton LaVey. That's right, founder of the church of Satan.
It is an occult term.
Psychic vampire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-12-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((("choublak" )))
Old 12-12-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

This is a book? I just thought it was an interesting article posted in the F&F of Substance abuse!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That all sounds about right to me - Maybe Anton LaVey dated an alcoholic
Old 12-13-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You just described my life for the last few years. Scary. I was going to tattoo Think before you speak on the inside of my arm. Now I think it will be Don't respond.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Interesting, I found this on Wikipedia:

The term "energy vampire" is also used metaphorically to refer to people whose influence leaves a person feeling exhausted, unfocused, and depressed, without ascribing the phenomenon to psychic interference.
This was me for 3 years! Finally glad my life is getting back together and I have more time to focus on myself instead of my soul sucking vampire. )
Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
The phrase psychic vampire, used to describe the term in this article, was popularized by Anton LaVey. That's right, founder of the church of Satan.
It is an occult term.
Psychic vampire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There is not a doubt in my mind, that addiction comes from the pits of hell. It is the work of the enemy. It destroys and ravages a human's soul and then their families.....if we allow it to.

Thankfully, God is much more powerful. HE works all things out for our good.