Notices

New method of celebration required!

Old 12-12-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New method of celebration required!

I’ve just finished two assignments well within their submission dates and I’m feeling good! Normally I would get stressed about an assignment, start drinking and end up losing three days of valuable study time. Then I’d wake up with a dreadful hangover, foggy-minded, unenthusiastic and half-heartedly regurgitate something with all the forethought of a hiccup.
Tomorrow I’m celebrating two whole weeks off the sauce, and I cannot believe how different I feel. I’ll have a couple of days off work over the weekend to visit friends, cook tasty foods and do some Christmas preparation, all without a hangover!
My only regret is that I didn’t stop sooner. Occasionally I think; “God, everything is great! Let’s have a drink to celebrate!” … then I remember that not drinking is my reason to celebrate in the first place. It’s not a real, formed thought; it’s not even a temptation, just a silly habit shaped over many years by my entertaining just about any excuse for a drink. So, my question is …
What should be my new way to celebrate? What’s yours?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How about some ice cream? or treat yourself to a good movie or dinner out? Or take out if a restaurant or bar scene is still too tempting to drink. But definitely treat yourself to something you enjoy and find relaxing.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great post! Congrats on finishing your assignments and feeling good about them and on your 2 weeks - way to go!

I definitely think we need to reward ourselves and/or have things to look forward to. When I was first sober, I used the money I'd normally spend on wine and ordered carryout each night from a favorite restaurant. I also love splurging at art/craft stores. Then again, sometimes I just allow myself a day to do nothing.

Sobriety is like getting to know ourselves again. Who knows.... maybe you'll come up with a new hobby or pastime as you go along.....
Old 12-12-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Seeing as I drank every single day, no matter what was going on in my life...I can't say I ever drank to celebrate.

I drank, because I was awake.

I'd like to say congratulations on your success and treat yourself to something nice!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Congrats

I celebrate every day but not picking up

but I also do crazy snoopy type dances
sing a lot
focus on doing the best I can
I am writing again
Taking lots of photos
I keep fit
I go out with friends a lot

In short I celebrate being clean by being alive rather than what I used to do which was being dead
Old 12-12-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love this post. I celebrate with great sparkling water like San Pellegrino. I might treat myself to a great bubble bath and watch a movie in the tub!

Congratulations on the achievement!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I celebrate every day by walking my dogs. Also caring for them and loving them and not neglecting their needs as I did when I drank.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

You are doing great!

Sometimes I celebrate by taking a nap lol I still go out and see friends when I want to celebrate something, I just bring an ice tea or coffee with me. I read more, take more photographs, keep in touch with old friends more, working on doing more creative things that I love. I do feel that celebrations for occasions are more special now. It's not about the drinking/excuse to drink it's about what you're actually supposed to be celebrating.

I had a hard time with this for the first few months. Now I find I'm having fun doing ordinary things and I'm making time to go to things I read about but always somehow missed because I went to the bar instead.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

sparkling water is my new celebration drink

i love going out to dinners or just enjoying some event... or buying myself a present. a nightly bar tab, which i don't have to pay anymore is a lot of savings.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody, these suggestions are great!

I'm definitely going to take a bubble bath tonight, and have a little read ... I love that suggestion! So relaxing and satisfying.

I also like the "snoopy dance" comment - I do that too! I really like to hear about the positives of sobriety. Often I fear that new abstainers are of the mind set that they are depriving themselves; responses like you guys' make it plain to see that in fact we are freeing ourselves
Old 12-13-2012, 04:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

whenever i accomplish something, i thank God for giving me the strength, courage, and wisdom.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I like blowing some money on a nice dinner. Without alcohol nice dinners are a whole lot cheaper
Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I buy myself books as a treat or celebration. I've rediscovered reading, now that I can remember what I've read, and it suits my quiet personality perfectly. Also, chocolate!!

If I'm at some kind of celebratory event or holiday dinner, I like a little something special to drink. Like you said Ro, it's not about depriving ourselves! I like mocktails like white grapefruit juice w/ soda water, or for nice dinners I like pomegranate juice, and then I always treat myself to an extra cup of decaf after dinner too...and probably chocolate!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Since booze has so many calories, I can now replace it with other "high calorie" items such as peppermint mocha & shortbread cookies.

That is how I celebrate... no drink in hand but some sweets!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I go grocery shopping. How many of us ate cheap crap when we were drinking? I can now get a ton of great food for 100 bucks! My grocery bill is so much lower since quitting.

I also have spent the day in bed, catching up on movies and shows (and remembering them) and snuggling with my dogs. I think it's okay to be lazy sometimes. Catching up on my shows is being productive in my mind instead of puking and sweating the day away.

I completely agree with celebrating our accomplishments with out drinking. I also think that we should celebrate getting through a tough situation without alcohol. Such as going to a Christmas party and not drinking. I would celebrate that with a massage or something.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
shoes....and boots.
books
bubble baths
music
dancing
cooking
live bands
thrift shopping
spending time with my boys...

more tattoos

and trying all the things I always blabbered on about but was too drunk and lazy to actually do, beyond just talk a bunch of sh*t and making drunken grand plans that never came to fruition. Some of these things I've done, will do again, and some are in the works. Eventually they'll all be checked off, plus more: skydiving, public speaking, pole dancing, belly dancing, rock climbing, ziplining, running...
hell maybe I should even run with the bulls LOL
You really do only live once.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

A plate of seafood Alfredo for me!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Save up the money you would have spent on alcohol and then treat yourself to a massage or mani/pedi or even a mini spa day.