Notices

need encouragement help

Old 12-12-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

need encouragement help

Hi,

Married male 42 drinking 8 drinks a night and taking (3) 15 mg oxy. Wife drinks 3 and takes (1) oxy. Going on roughly 4 - 5 years.

I am functional (think I am) Work everyday, enjoy alcohol and pills when I get off work.
I finally had the courage and made an appt with an outpatient detox/program. I show up in the morning and they tell me they cant give me anything cause I am not in withdrawals. The gave me a script of antabuse and Lithium to take home. I did not go back the next day.

I did not drink or do pills for 2 nights. On the third night, I wasnt feeling too terrible and wanted to reward myself for skipping a couple days. (******* mind games) I partied for that night and the next than I took off another night. I was drinking gallons of water throughout the day to flush everything out. I think I am lucky the physical withdraws are too bad, or maybe I havent waited long enough.

I have tried AA in the past and dont think its for me.

I get so anxious when I get home from work. I feel like a caged tiger. I have two young kids at home. I dont know what to do without the drink/pills.

I dont know what normal is of fun is without.

Any advice. Feels good just to talk.

Also, I have xanax. I take .5 mil to help sleep. Very tough to without, mind is racing.

Furthermore I want my sex drive back I dont wake up with an erection. Havent for years.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by busilyb123 View Post
Hi,

Married male 42 drinking 8 drinks a night and taking (3) 15 mg oxy. Wife drinks 3 and takes (1) oxy. Going on roughly 4 - 5 years.

I am functional (think I am) Work everyday, enjoy alcohol and pills when I get off work.
I finally had the courage and made an appt with an outpatient detox/program. I show up in the morning and they tell me they cant give me anything cause I am not in withdrawals. The gave me a script of antabuse and Lithium to take home. I did not go back the next day.

I did not drink or do pills for 2 nights. On the third night, I wasnt feeling too terrible and wanted to reward myself for skipping a couple days. (******* mind games) I partied for that night and the next than I took off another night. I was drinking gallons of water throughout the day to flush everything out. I think I am lucky the physical withdraws are too bad, or maybe I havent waited long enough.

I have tried AA in the past and dont think its for me.

I get so anxious when I get home from work. I feel like a caged tiger. I have two young kids at home. I dont know what to do without the drink/pills.

I dont know what normal is of fun is without.

Any advice. Feels good just to talk.

Also, I have xanax. I take .5 mil to help sleep. Very tough to without, mind is racing.

Furthermore I want my sex drive back I dont wake up with an erection. Havent for years.
Why don't you think AA is for you ?? ...... What part didn't you agree with? What part scared you?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-12-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Take it one day at a time . It will take time for your brain to reset and feel normal again with out pills and drinking. Easy does it. Just stay sober today then try again tomarrow . Hope this helps.
P.s. I am 49 days clear from vicodin and drinking and I can tell you I have never felt better. Good luck and God bless.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, busilyb!

I think it's normal to be fidgety and anxious at first. I didn't know what to do with myself either the first days without drinking. I spent a LOT of time here reading, and educating myself on addiction. It gets easier over time.

Is there someone in the outpatient program you could have a talk with, maybe explain what's going on with you? Or another doctor?

Glad you're here - I know I couldn't have quit drinking without this place!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses. I keep coming back to SR for support. This is the first time I have registered.