Notices

First night sober

Old 12-12-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First night sober

Made it thru my first night of being sober. Slept much better and woke up feeling pretty good. When I got home from work yesterday the thought of having a drink totally disgusted me. I had a nice dinner and was actually able to spend some time reading a book before I went to bed, didn't just drink myself silly and passout. I'm gonna enjoy this challenge!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you. I wish many more nights like that
Old 12-12-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Last night was my first night without a drink as well...
I noticed I felt so strange...I was very quiet, kinda depressed, just felt low in general. My husband brought home a 6 pack for himself and he was having a blast. It was easy for me to not drink any, but I felt so crappy for some reason.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wrldhealer View Post
Last night was my first night without a drink as well...
I noticed I felt so strange...I was very quiet, kinda depressed, just felt low in general. My husband brought home a 6 pack for himself and he was having a blast. It was easy for me to not drink any, but I felt so crappy for some reason.
That's a good sign that it was easy for you to not drink. That means you're determined.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your first night, I've had many of them. You don't have to go the route I did, stopping, starting, suffering. It was a miserable existance. Quit now and save yourself the nightmare I went through for twenty years. You can do it, and we're all here for you.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum, Balin. I gotta say, the first few days were really rough. If you can, distract yourself as much as possible. I said to myself things like "For the next ten minutes I won't drink, but if I want one later I can have one."

This might make you feel better. It's been over three weeks for me now, and I rarely think about wine now. That might change, but for right now I am okay.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One day at a time. Congrats on the first night. I think the first few are the hardest. Good luck and God bless
Old 12-12-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I did quit for six months around five years ago for health reasons, not because I wanted to quit alcohol, this time I want to quit alcohol, so that might make things easier. When I look back at what dragged me down the most for the last twenty years it was drinking so it's time to quit. Just don't want to spend the next twenty years being dragged down by booze.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Question

Originally Posted by BalinChane View Post
Made it thru my first night of being sober. Slept much better and woke up feeling pretty good. When I got home from work yesterday the thought of having a drink totally disgusted me. I had a nice dinner and was actually able to spend some time reading a book before I went to bed, didn't just drink myself silly and passout. I'm gonna enjoy this challenge!
May I ask how you managed to get yourself to the point of being disgusted by the thought of having a drink? Any suggestions on how you got in that mind-frame will likely help many of us. It would sure help me. I start each day thinking, "I can do this," but by the time I'm leaving work my first thought is I need to buy some alcohol, when it should be I can't wait to play with my kids or hug my wife. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaddyDontDrink View Post
May I ask how you managed to get yourself to the point of being disgusted by the thought of having a drink? Any suggestions on how you got in that mind-frame will likely help many of us. It would sure help me. I start each day thinking, "I can do this," but by the time I'm leaving work my first thought is I need to buy some alcohol, when it should be I can't wait to play with my kids or hug my wife. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
For the last few years I've felt like the world was tossing me around at will, I had no control over anything, no hope, no future, hated my job (still do), doom and gloom and add in some family problems for good measure. This weekend after a night of martinis I woke up feeling worse then usual and realized that drinking was one big problem that I could control, nobody can force me to drink. So maybe the one word that describes why the thought of taking a drink disgusts me is Defiance. They can't make me drink, only I can. Kinda like the mouse that roared but what the hey. Roar!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi,
Just wanted to say that I'm going through my first day today - so a day behind you.
I've been having alcohol free days for the last couple of weeks, but have decided that total abstinence is the best option for me.
I feel excited about it - spending some time on here has really helped my resolve. I have far too much to live for to spend half of my life drinking.
I'll be keeping an eye on your progress! Well done :-).
Old 12-12-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BalinChane View Post
The one word that describes why the thought of taking a drink disgusts me is Defiance. They can't make me drink, only I can. Kinda like the mouse that roared but what the hey. Roar!
I like that. In a world of things we can't control, no one can make you drink but yourself. "Defiance" it is! Thank you for your quick response!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Balin - It's great to hear you sounding so positive. I used to love reading, but when I drank I couldn't concentrate. Drinking ourselves into a fog makes no sense, but I spend almost 30 yrs. doing it. So glad you are getting yourself free.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Changing5336 View Post
Hi,
Just wanted to say that I'm going through my first day today - so a day behind you.
I've been having alcohol free days for the last couple of weeks, but have decided that total abstinence is the best option for me.
I feel excited about it - spending some time on here has really helped my resolve. I have far too much to live for to spend half of my life drinking.
I'll be keeping an eye on your progress! Well done :-).
Sounds like the best way to go, total abstinence. Good luck to you.

Originally Posted by DaddyDontDrink View Post
I like that. In a world of things we can't control, no one can make you drink but yourself. "Defiance" it is! Thank you for your quick response!
I just hope I can stay defiant long enough to make sober a habit.

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Balin - It's great to hear you sounding so positive. I used to love reading, but when I drank I couldn't concentrate. Drinking ourselves into a fog makes no sense, but I spend almost 30 yrs. doing it. So glad you are getting yourself free.
Yeah, reading and drinking don't go well together. How many times have we read a chapter and realized we didn't read a damn word?