Notices

7 days sober...not too bad :)

Old 12-11-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 days sober...not too bad :)

I am now 7 days sober...not too bad. My first night was tough but each night thereafter hasn't been bad. I drink soda water w/lime in a martini glass. I have non alcoholic red wine to sip on when my friends come over.

My attitude is different this go around. I am really, really, really sick of drinking. Sick of wanting to stop. Sick of feeling dissappointed in myself. Sick of not being clear minded. So instead of fretting about not drinking, I have embraced the idea that I want to not drink alcohol. I want to feel good about myself. I already have a clearer head and more energy to get tasks done. My house is getting so darn clean!

I just wonder, will this attitude continue or will I fall back into wanting to drink?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome susie. If you do want to drink stuff that fellng down - fight it with all your might. Hang out here and read & post
Old 12-11-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome to SR Susie. Not too bad at all!!

Yep, it just keeps getting better. It took me a while for my attitude to stay changed. It's so easy to go back to that old way of thinking. I told myself I could never forget how miserable I felt.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

If the attitude continues is up to you. A position of humility and gratitude for the life I am now able to lead helps me.

I am 18 months sober. I think sobriety has to be nurtured to grow. I think of it as staying centred in recovery. I think it is possible to not be centred and be sober but that it a much more vulnerable state.

I now avoid all the "alcohol like" stimuli- glasses, pseudo-alcohol etc it just keeps me tied to the drinking - not drinking thing- when embracing sobriety unconditionally is my aim
Old 12-11-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great work, Susie!! I'm in CO too!! Small world!! Keep on keeping on!!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know what you mean, congrats on 7 days!

I'm on day 4. I would be careful with the non alcohol wine though.For me,the smell,the look,the colour,the bottle, the glass would be just too tempting especially if my friend was drinking.

As I recently read on here "non alcoholic wine is for non alcoholics"
Old 12-11-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done susie!

I'm on Day 10 and like you my house looks very clean! lols. I have so much energy and mentally feel so much better. Still early days though and I know that I still need lots of encouragement and support to remain sober.

Trying hard to muster up courage to make it to my first AA meeting.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Susie!

I expect you will run into ups and downs in your recovery, as most of us do. The main thing is to keep the focus on your goal of sobriety and know that it's worth it.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job...keep it up! I also agree...there may likely be days where you just feel you can't do it, BUT YOU CAN!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome susie

I agree with Anna - not to put you off, I'd expect some ups and downs to come - recovery is no different from any other facet of life...

but support really helps - and there's a ton of it here

D
Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Me too dragon12, I haven't found it in me yet to go to a meeting. I am thankful for all the support on this site. I no longer feel alone.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Really, it's only been a day since day 7? Well, I'm now on day 8, feeling great but wish I was a year into this so I wouldn't have to think so much about it.

How long, when, will I get to the point that it's not such an obsession to not drink? Ugh, I'm drained.

Last edited by susiedancer; 12-12-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: grammer correction
Old 12-12-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can tell you that I have an addictive voice that speaks to me daily and questions why it is I'm not drinking.

I acknowledge the voice is there, but dismiss the voice immediately. I do not negotiate or debate with the voice.

Not to be a downer, but I anticipate my addiction will be with me for the rest of my life and I will have to remain ever vigilant to stop it from rising.

If I were ever to feel overwhelmed by the voice, I would probably come here to SR and talk about it.

The voice is only a problem if I choose to listen to it.

The reason why it's easy to ignore, is because I don't drink alcohol anymore. The addictive voice is wasting its time, but I know it will never relent.

Good thing I don't drink.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Susie Hi! I live in Denver, who knows maybe we could go to a meeting together? Congrats!! We have Smart, WFS, Lifering & AA. I just happen to notice your city when I read your post.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Xune for your words of wisdom, I've learnt a lot from you since coming to SR.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

generally things get easier as time goes on.

first 7 days would be the hardest to control your desire to drink, i think.
so if you've gone 7 so far, i'm sure the next 7 will be even easier.

if you have been addicted to drinking, then it will take some time to re-adjust and a lot of thoughts and feeling are associated to the recovery process.
why do you think so much about drinking?
it's something that was probably in your routine for so long that now it's strange not to have it. learn what you can do with your free time ... besides cleaning
without hangovers and being drunk there's a lot more of it.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No physical addiction- yay; just emotionally habitual. Kind of like snacking on food every night. I am not sure why I feel I need to keep reminding myself that I don't drink. I think I'm excited but still nervous that I won't stick to my new life. The drinking out of boredom caused so much more boredom. Strange how that works out.

Thanks, I needed to hear my next 7 days won't be as tough. I think I did rather well these past days. I am very proud of myself at this moment.

I have some more house cleaning to do, then I'll quit. Maybe I'll pick up another hobby. Start studying something, reading novels, and make my schedule for the gym.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey MissiLou, Do you have any favorite meetings? I tried 2 years ago in Englewood and didn't feel comfortable.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes, I'd like to go to a meeting with you, MissiLou
Old 12-12-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have been to lots of meetings around town & I know where I don't feel comfortable thru my years of starting & stopping. I don't want to do that anymore. I had a 2nd appt with a counselor today & I picked her because of her expertise in addictions. And she is one tough cookie & it's probably what I need! I made a commitment to her that I would go to some meetings because she called me on it from my last appt. So, let's just figure this meeting thing out, OK? I live at I25 & Colorado Blvd & I will private msg you with my number. Take care in the mean time.