Notices

Help

Old 12-11-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

Hello everyone,

This is my first time and on here and my first time confessing I have a drink problem. I drink everyday maybe skip one day max and drink about a bottle of wine each day.
I've known I needed help for ages and just can't seem to bring myself to do it and I don't even know why I drink anymore. Life was really difficult about 5-6 years but now I am really happy but I just couldn't kick the booze and I've been so afraid to tell anyone. My have quite a respectable job and I guess I just didn't want anyone at work to ever find out. So I thought I would join this site and give it a go. Today I haven't had a drink and I want to continue like this and be sober. I want think that I don't need to ever drink again although I can't quite believe this right now.
Please will you guys help me. Just having someone to be accountable to and people who understand will help billions I know it will. Because whenever I read up on alcoholism I feel strong for a short while but forget and carry on the next day.
At home I always manage to hide the bottle if anyone's around and I can't believe no-one has caught me out yet.
I know I can do this I just need a bit of help.
I've brought myself lots of vitamins and am so looking forward to being normal and healthy again.
Help please
Rama
Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome rama,i was also a wine drinker and new to this.I'm on day 4-this site is great and the class of December is full of people stopping this month
Old 12-11-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do You Believe

Rama,

I came here to do the same thing you are trying to do. I kept all of my strruggles private. In my job, if you have a problem you will be forced out. Even the suspicion of a problem will get you forced out. So privacy was my utmost concern.

I was not real succesful initially. Eventually, I had to let me wife know.(in the end she actually knew as its hard to cover up missing events). However once I admitted to her my problem, things began to change. That's as public as it ever will be...for now.

I looked at all manner of tools to help me. Rational Recovery (AVRT), SMART, HARM, AA. Check out all of them and see if you can't find some tools that can help you. Obviously keep coming here as it will help immensely in navigating the early sobriety period.

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad your here. Try not drinking just for today. Start with 24 hours. Then take it one day at a time, if that's to long than go 5 minutes at a time. You can do it! God luck and God bless.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Rama. I am on Day 11. This is a great place to read and get ideas and to try to stay centered and focused.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Glad you found us rama. You'll find tons of support here.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Welcome to SR, Rama!

It's a great place to find and share support and understanding, I can tell you). Just a bit of advice on your early sobriety: focus on today, as it was previously said. Don't keep wine at home. And make some plan for yourself to avoid your most triggering moments - when you are sad, lonely, stressed, on your way from work when passing by a liquor shop.

Take care and keep posting)
Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome Rama-glad you found SR. It is comforting to know that you are not the only one struggling with this addiction, and people here are very supportive.

Start simple-get rid of the bottles, spend time on SR, tell yourself "not today" and find ways to reward yourself for your progress
Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Rama. The first few days are hard, especially since you've just admitted to yourself and others you have a problem. I'd suggest looking into an outpatient program for substance abuse. I am a full time worker as well, but this took precedence over work because drinking is a cycle. Your life will NEVER get better if the drink stays in it. It is truly a vicious cycle. I'd also recommend reading "Drinking: A Love Story" - it really helped me relate and was a good story...about a high functioning alcohoic and her journey to sobriety.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rama,

Welcome!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Rama! So glad you found SR! It's an amazing place with people struggling, and succeeding, with addiction.

As already stated, just focus on today. It's too overwhelming to think beyond 24 hours. Break it down to second, minutes, half-hours, hours or whatever it takes. The first few days are rough but I promise you there's a happier future ahead of you if you stay the course.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome rama

look around - there's hundreds of success stories here
I know it's scary...but you can do this too

good to have you here
D
Old 12-11-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Personally I told my management. They are supporting me.
My problem never affected my job.

Keep posting!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

New to this to

Hi Rama. The folks on this site have been very helpful in pushing me to commit to being sober one day at a time. I am keeping a journal to track my progress , I started it a couple of weeks ago when i was still drinking and when I was starting to get my mind around the possibility of never being able to drink again. This idea is the hardest to accept. I think being honest with yourself and really thinking about what are the reasons that lead you to drink could help in giving you that push too. I'm going to a therapist and joined this site for that feeling of accountability. I too do not tell anyone other than my close family that I have a problem but if I quit drinking all together I might eventually have to. I can't remember the name but this guy wrote a book about how he quit cold turkey and told everyone (on Facebook) about it and this somehow helped him with his accountability. I wish I had the nerve to do this sometimes. Any step you take is a better step than doing nothing and staying in denial. It might take a while and it will be tough but stick with it. Some of the people on this site are your living proof that it can be done.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

welcome rama! you will find a lot of people here with the exact same story, I am one of them. Hid all the wine, kept it secret from everyone, good people here, glad you found us!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome and I am sober five months.

I'll have you know that I, just like hundreds of thousands of addicts, have a respectable job.

Exactly three people know about my problem and my recovery.

My wife and two Doctors.

Do not let fear stop you from getting well.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hello from help

EVERYONE THANK YOU so much!

I feel quite overwhelmed with the responses. I LOVED every message. I wish i could be like you right now, with a sense of archievment, because i already know somehow if i can do ths its will be my greatest conquest in life.
I did end up having 2 glasses of wine in secret yesterday when I got home. But even after that I felt so much better this morning I woke up and felt awake and remembered that feeling of waking up with energy.
But despite waking up that way I am at work now and craving a drink, its 10:45 and I'm already planning on 'nipping out for lunch'! I hate being anxious and am starting feel it slightly. My head is saying a drink will ease the anxiety so it doesn't get worse.

Lots of love to you all.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Drinking during work hours can cause huge problems. Please think this through. Yes its a bit uncomfortable, but if you want to stop you will push through this.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

One cannot stop and avoid feeling some sort of discomfort.

As well as someone cannot learn how to swim without getting in the water.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rama View Post
its 10:45 and I'm already planning on 'nipping out for lunch'! I hate being anxious and am starting feel it slightly. My head is saying a drink will ease the anxiety so it doesn't get worse
When I'm jonesing I take deep breaths into my stomach, hold it for a second and then slowly exhale. It takes my mind off of whatever it's fixated on. Maybe this can help you. I've been told it's a kind of biofeedback. Anyway, when I start spinning in my tracks, I stop and do this and it helps.

Please don't drink at work. You'll just be stressing about getting caught and be even more stressed. If you get fired, things will go south really fast.

My sister just got fired for showing up at work reeking of booze and still impaired from the night before. She was already riding to work on a bicycle because of a DUI and she lives in snowy Colorado. Now her life is royally screwed. It's the third job she's gotten fired from.