Notices

80 hour alcohol screen

Old 12-10-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

80 hour alcohol screen

I have to do the 80 hour alcohol screen weekly. I have not been drinking, but got drunk on red wine Friday night. They have only called me in to test on one Monday in 3.5 months, but today called me in. I have to test before 5:00pm. Will I test positively? I don't know how much I drank, but think I consumed the equivalent of 1.5 bottles of wine.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know hoe much I drank, but think I consume the equivalent of 1.5 bottles of wine.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are you on probation? I don't know if you will pass or not but the anxiety you going through right now must be unbearable. How do you feel about drinking right now?
Is it worth this? I drank on probation years ago. Got away with it. Thought I was lucky. Continued drinking and got popped for OWI. Back on probation. They were'nt as nice as they(the court) were before. I actually did'nt get away with anything.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well most likely not. But it all depends on your metabolism. And how fast your body can break down to a traceable amount..

I had those tests for 2 years. I can tell you one thing for sure. It was a relief when I just surrendered and quit , I never cared about the dreaded phone call..

Good luck..
Old 12-10-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome. I hope SR can help you get back on track.

I don't wish to sound harsh, you being a newcomer and all, but if all you are worried about is the results of your test and getting caught with alcohol in your system, you have lots of work to do on your recovery.

It is like cheating on a test. It's not the getting caught that is the error, it's cheating in the first place.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ema, this may be hard to hear but it is not about "getting around" the system. Unfortunately sometimes we need consequences to get sober. I wish I had gotten sober before the 2 DUI's but I did not. The tests are not the issue but the drinking is. I hope you find sobriety. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am not trying to get around the rules. I was sober for 3.5 months and fell of the wagon at a Christmas party. I feel terrible, but now just need to know if I should take the test or try to postpone til tomorrow. Please only answer with whether or not I can pass and 80 hour alcohols screen after 64 hours.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

yes you can... but I would put it off for one more day. So there is no doubt.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do You Believe

Sorry to hear about your relapse.

If it is 80 hour screen then they are testing for EtG. In that case I would try and postpone until at least 72 hours or more have passed. So much depends on when the last drink was had and how long until it was all metabolized. Alcohol may have been in your system until early the next morning. So that is when you would start the hour counting.

Also this is a tricky and fairly unreliable test as using mouthwash and other medicines that contain alcohol will result in a positive test.

I can only imagine the stress. Regardless of the test outcome keep up the good work and contnue build on that 3.5 months.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ema

Noone here can really answer your question, I don't think.
If you have the option to put it off then I guess it makes sense to do that for your peace of mind.

I hope you'll stick around and join us.
The best way to never have this problem and anxiety again is to stay sober

D
Old 12-10-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Maybe facing the consequences of your actions would be a huge leap in your recovery? I would imagine you'll test positive if the testing is reliable, if you're wanting to get around it, I would wait until it's after 80 hours.