Notices

New to site and ready to change

Old 12-10-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to site and ready to change

Hi I am new to this site but not new to wanting to stop the insanity of drinking. I am not an everyday drinker, but when I do drink it totally controls me and I just cannot do this anymore. I know that I have to stop so here I am. I am 43 and have a wonderful family, I am pretty sure they do not know the extent of my drinking, and I definitely want to stop before I do something really stupid and they learn the whole ugly truth, that truly scares me. I am trying to work up the courage to attend an AA meeting today, but walking through the door I guess makes it real. That I really let myself get to this point. I know I have to do it. Sorry if this is all over the place, I am just really scared of what I have done to myself, I am way smarter than this disease, and yet I let myself get caught up in it.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Glad you found us and making a move in the right direction.

Remember that AA people won't judge you, they have been there also ;-)
Old 12-10-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Nabb1,

I'm a recovering heroin addict (12 days clean today) but to me addiction is addiction regardless of you Drug of choice. Please take that step into an AA meeting, I was the same going to my first NA meeting, EVERYONE IS... ignore your thumping heart and wobbly knees, you don't need to talk just sit and listen if you want to.
keep posting and reading SR it has helped me so so much in these last few days. the majority of posts on any of the forums are helpful because you can see your own behavior and identify with what other addicts are feeling etc. you are not alone and you have already taken the brave step of admitting to yourself that you have a problem so please take that next step into an AA meeting , whats the worst that can happen?
then think about whats the worst that can happen if you continue to drink and don;t go to AA?
one day at a time.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! I've only been here one day but I think it is really going to be helpful. I think feeling scared is a normal reaction. You can do this!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Deciding to quit can be scary and overwhelming, but no more so than worrying constantly about your drinking and being fearful of where it can take you in the future. Small steps lead to bigger ones. You're here, you're aware you need help, and you're asking for help. Very good start! AA isn't the only way to recover either, although it's worked for many. You can read all about methods, get advice and support, and help others here. Welcome!
Old 12-10-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! It's great that you're scared. First off, it's normally to be scared when making a big change. But the best thing is that part of that fear is your Addictive Voice realizing that the gig is up! The part of you that makes you drink has had it's own way all your life, and now your higher brain is getting ready to start calling the shots. That's epic!

I too was 43 when the burden of alcohol became to heavy to drag and further. So I dropped it and went on ahead. You can do this!