Today's Advice: Don't Even Mention the Alcohol

Old 12-10-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today's Advice: Don't Even Mention the Alcohol

Finally dragged myself to a domestic violence advocate and gave her some of my long story. She noted that AH reacts in the extreme to any mention of his little drinking problem. Since he's gotten so freaky, she cautioned me to avoid any contact and especially not to bring up alcoholism or rehab.

I am sure that she's right. She said, he's an intelligent man. He knows what his options are.

Anyone else been down this path?!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kind of, in a different context. The key here is that you shouldn't be the one that instigates this stuff with him in a personal context. Let your lawyer do it in court. Address nothing but business with him on the phone or with the kids.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ohhhh... James can't stand the word vodka when I say it.

It lights a fire under his hiney. But when he's sober he is fine with it.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The advocate said that because my AH grew up with alcoholism in his home and has never dealt with how it has affected him, plus he has always been a drinker since his youth - it's something at his inner core and sets off an explosion.

Makes a part of me wanna say, "nah nah nah alcoholism nah nah nah..." And stick out my tongue :-)
Old 12-10-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol is ingrained in my husband's family. It's part of the wood work if you will. I believe he has never dealt with a normal, natural feeling without turning to alcohol to get through it. All of his siblings suffer from one form of addiction be it drugs or alcohol n his parents too. Dad is passes n mom is presently an alcoholic at 74 years old. Sister is alcoholic. Other sister is a drug addict n his brother is a drug addict n alcoholic.

Why would I marry this man? Because he touted 20 years of sobriety at me. 20 YEARS!!! He treated me well! He's a good man! He was recovered but!!! He was slipping n I didn't even know it!