Notices

The bar and the party.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The bar and the party.

With the holiday season approaching, I've noticed a spike in posts from people who I consider to be quite vulnerable in their recovery, who seem to be struggling whether or not they should attend various booze fuelled social functions.

I encourage all of the SR members in early remission from alcohol addiction to ask themselves, keeping in mind that alcohol addiction kills those who abuse booze;

'Why are you willingly putting your life at risk, by exposing yourself to an environment where a substance that can kill you is ever present."

If you are absolutely certain that you are incapable of drinking alcohol, wonderful and have fun!

If there is even a hint, glimmer or thought that you may succumb to temptation or envy those drinking...stay the **** home! You don't need to flex any imaginary sobriety muscles.

You're conviction and strength will come with time being sober, but not through white knuckling it through a party. In fact, white knuckling it through a party would likely give you a false sense of strength.

Recovery from addiction isn`t a game, it`s a struggle between life and death. Stack the odds in your favour and give yourself every opportunity to succeed!

Just a thought I had this morning and of course, this post is just my lay opinion. For those in early recovery, I too am in early recovery and hope someone, somewhere finds something useful in hearing from me.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
With the holiday season approaching, I've noticed a spike in posts from people who I consider to be quite vulnerable in their recovery, who seem to be struggling whether or not they should attend various booze fuelled social functions.

I encourage all of the SR members in early remission from alcohol addiction to ask themselves, keeping in mind that alcohol addiction kills those who abuse booze;

'Why are you willingly putting your life at risk, by exposing yourself to an environment where a substance that can kill you is ever present."

If you are absolutely certain that you are incapable of drinking alcohol, wonderful and have fun!

If there is even a hint, glimmer or thought that you may succumb to temptation or envy those drinking...stay the **** home! You don't need to flex any imaginary sobriety muscles.

You're conviction and strength will come with time being sober, but not through white knuckling it through a party. In fact, white knuckling it through a party would likely give you a false sense of strength.

Recovery from addiction isn`t a game, it`s a struggle between life and death. Stack the odds in your favour and give yourself every opportunity to succeed!

Just a thought I had this morning and of course, this post is just my lay opinion. For those in early recovery, I too am in early recovery and hope someone, somewhere finds something useful in hearing from me.
IMO This post is 100% TRUE!!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Xune - while I absolutely agree with you and your logic - it is almost impossible to avoid booze these days. It is everywhere and people have such a cavalier attitude about it. Even just going out to dinner at a favorite restauranrt and the servers are compelled to offer you the drink special of the night. You have to look at the little cardboard cutout of the drink specials on the table. In order to avoid it completely - especially at this time of year - I fell like I would have to stay in bed with my head covered.

Again I do agree that certain situations should probably be avoided early in recovery - images and references to booze are everywhere - almost impossible to avoid.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Agreed. No point in attending if it's going to be a huge temptation and invitation to relapse. It's just a party-it's not the end of the world if you miss a few. Not worth ruining all the hard work you've put into recovery efforts. Ask yourself "how will I benefit from drinking at this party?" it's very hard to come up with anything remotely convincing or positive.

I do think it's a goal to be able to have a life that isn't limited by alcohol in any way. That means (in my opinion) being able to attend any event without booze factoring into your decision. Being able to go and enjoy life's celebrations sober
with "mocktail" in hand. I realize you have to be ready for this, and it comes at different times for different people.

Volunteering to be the DD can balance out some of the guilt over times you drove under the influence and it feels good to help your friends.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes the event is not simply a local party. I might be a travelling event, where one visits with family and has to stay a few nights. And children need to be brought to see their relatives because they enjoy it, not simply because of obligation.

It is not always so black and white. But, in general, I do agree. I have avoided local parties if I do not feel 100% confident. I cannot skip the family holiday.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
Sometimes the event is not simply a local party. I might be a travelling event, where one visits with family and has to stay a few nights. And children need to be brought to see their relatives because they enjoy it, not simply because of obligation.

It is not always so black and white. But, in general, I do agree. I have avoided local parties if I do not feel 100% confident. I cannot skip the family holiday.
The only thing I HAVE to do is stay sober. Virtually everything else is a choice. I will be going to a family function for a week in another state by choice but I have my AA meetings planned out. I have an escape plan. Everybody I care about knows that I am an alcoholic. I am prepared to stay at a hotel if I have to.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TTBABP View Post
Xune - while I absolutely agree with you and your logic - it is almost impossible to avoid booze these days. It is everywhere and people have such a cavalier attitude about it. Even just going out to dinner at a favorite restauranrt and the servers are compelled to offer you the drink special of the night. You have to look at the little cardboard cutout of the drink specials on the table. In order to avoid it completely - especially at this time of year - I fell like I would have to stay in bed with my head covered.

Again I do agree that certain situations should probably be avoided early in recovery - images and references to booze are everywhere - almost impossible to avoid.
I respect your opinion, but my post isn't about adverts or references to alcohol in popular culture.

It is about encouraging vulnerable addicts to choose carefully if they are going to place themselves in an environment where their life will be at great peril.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
The only thing I HAVE to do is stay sober. Virtually everything else is a choice. I will be going to a family function for a week in another state by choice but I have my AA meetings planned out. I have an escape plan. Everybody I care about knows that I am an alcoholic. I am prepared to stay at a hotel if I have to.
Exactly. So, you are going. You are going with a plan to stay sober. But you are not skipping the family function. That was my point. There is more shades of gray here than simply telling people don't go. I am not saying you have said that, but many do.

And not everyone has the resources to just go off to a hotel when the going gets rough. In, fact I do, but not everyone.

I also am going, and have a plan. My exit is not so easy, being with my children and husband and one vehicle. But I will be in a large house and can go off with my book and avoid the drinking if it gets to be too much. I can examine prior mistakes and have a better plan. I can be more direct and blunt in my refusal of drinks. Not care about offending someone who pressures me to drink.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Exactly. So, you are going. You are going with a plan to stay sober. But you are not skipping the family function. That was my point. There is more shades of gray here than simply telling people don't go. I am not saying you have said that, but many do.

And not everyone has the resources to just go off to a hotel when the going gets rough. In, fact I do, but not everyone.

I also am going, and have a plan. My exit is not so easy, being with my children and husband and one vehicle. But I will be in a large house and can go off with my book and avoid the drinking if it gets to be too much. I can examine prior mistakes and have a better plan. I can be more direct and blunt in my refusal of drinks. Not care about offending someone who pressures me to drink.
The point is we have a choice. The world will not end if we do not go. The world will likely end (at least for us) if we drink. Where people fail is putting things ahead of their sobriety. I am not overly worried about drinking as I have been sober for a while but this family function I am going to I have skipped for 3 years by choice because I take this sobriety stuff with deadly seriousness
Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Rochele has a good point about the events that can't be skipped and extended holiday visits with no escape route. Suggestions for people that have dealt with this successfully would be appreciated I'm sure.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TTBABP View Post
It is everywhere and people have such a cavalier attitude about it. Even just going out to dinner at a favorite restauranrt and the servers are compelled to offer you the drink special of the night. You have to look at the little cardboard cutout of the drink specials on the table. In order to avoid it completely - especially at this time of year - I fell like I would have to stay in bed with my head covered.

Since this is almost impossible to avoid, it is necessary to change your own perception to it. It's the holiday season. Images and references to EVERYTHING are everywhere, not just booze. Right next to the little cardboard cutout of the drink specials is the one for the dessert specials, for example.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Totally agree Im skipping every party this year. Cannot risk it. Dont want to be around it.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Xune.I'm avoiding the office party this year and not going out with friends anywhere where there is alcohol.

I can't avoid Christmas day though with family so need to be prepared. I don't want to drink just need to be prepared for cravings and not just drink because everyone else is
Old 12-10-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I agree and my fears are with this
Old 12-10-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a good link for those things like Family Xmas that are inevitable for many of us

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

That being said I did not go to my family Xmas the first year - I knew the atmosphere would not be good for me or my recovery.

There was some displeasure at my decision, yes, but noone died because I didn't go.

Second year? I was good to go

D