Notices

how do I help my son?

Old 12-10-2012, 12:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how do I help my son?

My son is 32 and has been drinking for a long time, he HS lost work, got kicked out of school, losesti.e, money, steals to buy drink. He lives with my ex husband, who drinks with him and picks up the pieces after his drinking causes problems. My ex husband sometimes rings me up complaining that my son 'is passed out on the floor drunk' or that they've had Abig fight and he doesn't know what to do. I think he is part ofthe problem, enabling and sharing inthe drinking. I will not tolerate his drinking ibmy house which means he hardly ever comes to see me. I have told him he can live with me but only if he quits drinking as I will not lve with an active alcoholic. Any suggestions on anythi g I can do to help?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hello Joystur,

Welcome to the forums. There's lots of information and support here. You are probably going to find the majority of the answers to your questions in this forum:

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

It kinda sounds like you have a very firm stance on the situation. My advice would be to keep the stance you already have. You have laid down a firm proposition for your son. Whether he chooses to take it or not is his problem. He may decide to sober up or he may not. You could perhaps recommend he visit local drug and alcohol services or outpatient treatment (there's tons in London) but you can't really do anything else apart from wait for him to see sense. Is his Dad an alcoholic? He certainly sounds like an enabler but whether or not he would be willing to help is another issue you may have to look at in the future.

Natom.