Notices

Sober for 10 years going through a diffucult time

Old 12-09-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober for 10 years going through a diffucult time

First of all I must say that, I am glad that I found this place. It has been 10 years I did not drink at all and is my first time I am writing somewhere about this and again it is a pleasure to meet with people who are suffering like me.

Little about me ;

I was addicted to alcohol no different than anyone here, was not having fun without alcohol, any event had to have some alcohol in it or I would have brought, only hobby was drinking alcohol.

After drinking for many years (I started to drink when i was 12) I stopped drinking one morning and since then I did not touch it. I think that was the best decision I made in my life since I started to realize that there is a life out there other than drinking and it is much better.

My only wrong decision was I quit drinking unconsciously without any help. Then I went to a different country (Europe to Canada) that really helped me a lot. I opened a new page in my life and started to have new friends which are really nice.

However, life is not always so smooth, as time goes bad surprises happen. You have to deal with difficult people, diffucult situations and boring stuff.

Last 6 years were really diffuculut for me as I had some unexpected situations in my life.

It started with my marriage, as i had a very diffucult time. (I got married in 2006, seperated in 2009 and still trying to divorce)
Second thing is, i got hired by a company where i was making crazy amounts of money and all of a sudden my income went to almost nothing.
With the money i started a business and lost all my money in 3 years and feel like i am back to where i started and still paying my debts after that much money I earned.

I never expected these things to happen in my life, yes i know there are much worse situations and I thank God for this. But being addicted to alcohol and not drinking during these times was a victory for me.

Now my only question is, as i mentioned I quit alcohol without replacing it with something and now I am unemployed, in debt and tired. I dream about alcohol in my dreams and do not want to start however I need something that can replace this and help me to organize my life again and would really appreciate any help.

Again, it is great to find a place like this.

Thanks

Sergio
Old 12-09-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My hat is off to you. Have you thought about AA?
Old 12-09-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sergio - I am not yet in a position to give any advice but I wish you well and I am sure that a lot of the great people here will offer words of support and advice if you stick around. Stay strong in your resolve. Not drinking for 10 years is incredible
Old 12-09-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes of course, but did not really join any meetings. I am not sure if that will help or make me remember my bad days..
Old 12-09-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, ten years is amazing! You will find lots of support on this site, and you will also be a source of wisdom for those of us early in our journey!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Seem like you been doing pretty good with 10 years of sobriety. Welcome to SR!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

get on here every night, peoples stories help a ton
Old 12-09-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

understand mine was dec, 6th 2012

Originally Posted by thumbsup View Post
yes of course, but did not really join any meetings. I am not sure if that will help or make me remember my bad days..
Originally Posted by act10npack View Post
seem like you been doing pretty good with 10 years of sobriety. Welcome to sr!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThumbsUp View Post
Yes of course, but did not really join any meetings. I am not sure if that will help or make me remember my bad days..
It helps me by remembering the bad days! Lets me know that I don't want to go down that path again. Meetings help me by being able to bounce my problems off other to see how they handle similar situations. Give meetings a try it can't hurt. Other addicted people are the only ones who understand. Ten years is awesome!! Your pal in recovery... Wes...
Old 12-09-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maybe something that will help guide you through the bad times, to remember the big picture? I'm thinking something like spirituality, religion, volunteering, family, arts, craftsmanship...something that lifts you above catches of our society that are temporary or we can't really control. Your character, humanity and worth doesn't change when you have debt or whether or not you lose your job. I would seek experiences that validate that for you, things you can build for yourself.