Notices

Online vs real life AA meetings?

Old 12-09-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Online vs real life AA meetings?

Hi everyone,

Here I am posting again, nearly at the end of my tether. I just can't stop drinking, it's too scary and daunting when I try to stop and I end up drinking pretty much simply because I don't know what else to do with myself. So this pattern of hopelessness and self-hatred has been repeating for long enough and I know that I need to do something else besides read about here - even though I find the posts here very eye-opening and honest, it's obviously not enough to stop me drinking.

I've been tempted by AA for a good while now (or really just the thought of meeting and talking to people in a similar situation to me, not just AA specifically). The problem is, when I look online, there seems to be very few for the city I'm in (Belfast), which I find hard to believe. The only one anywhere near me is right in the area where a lot of my friends live so I really wouldn't feel comfortable going there in case they saw me going in and realise my problem.

So I was wondering whether anyone has any experience of online AA meetings? And whether they work as well as real life, face to face meetings? They seem to be the only option really open to me right now but as I don't really immerse myself fully on posting on here, as I'm kind of afraid to open up, I don't know whether online meetings would be any different or more helpful for me.

Does anyone have any opinions or experience? Thanks
Old 12-09-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm not an AA person, but I think some of our members using online AA meetings.

And, of course, SR offers lots of support too. You can do this!
Old 12-09-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I cannot directly relate to AA. But it is an awsome support system. My mom used to go and it does work. Posting here is a great start. Spill your guts, and post! This web site saved my life.

Welcome to SR, ;-)
Old 12-09-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Bombshell, I'm on Day 8 and trying to muster up the courage to go to an AA meeting. I did try to join online but found it really confusing the one time that I tried.

I come on to SR everyday and read everyones posts and post my concerns and problems with alcohol....it really helps. I've also just joined SMART online and they have lots of information on how to quit....I'm determined to read a little every day.

Good luck.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things worked pretty well for you when you posted here regularly too didn't they bombshell?

Why not join the Class of December as well?

D
Old 12-09-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

Hi bombshell,there are about 50 AA meetinga a week in Belfast.They are listed on the Alcoholics Anonymous Ireland website.

I hope you can find one near you.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

An in person meeting is where I found my sponsor and network (friends) who I can hangout with. I supplement my in-person meetings with online meetings.

Private email if you want some information on online meetings.

Try one in person! Usually the only people who know what is going on inside the in-person meetings are those who attend regularly.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the responses. I should clarify, it's not just AA that I'm interested in, I'm really open to any kind of recovery network. Including here, but I need to get up the courage to post more. I just feel that I keep saying the same things over and over again here and never actually change, and it's embarrassing and just wasting people's time.

To answer a few posts specifically - Dee, you're right, I have made efforts at posting here quite a lot before and it did help. However, I keep sliding back into drinking and I'm a bit embarrassed at this stage to join Class of December - I've joined a few Class of... threads before and always dropped out after a few days. I don't believe that I'll stick to it so I think what's the point starting it? I know this is defeatist behaviour...

Heath - thank you for the info! I didn't know there was an AA ireland website and didn't know about the half of those meetings. I see some that might work. Thank you again!

Again thank you everyone for the info. I will look into the SMART online thing too as well as the suggestions for AA. I really feel like I need to take another step with this thing as it's been years now and nothing is changing. I need to step out of my comfort zone. Thank you all again!

Anna x
Old 12-09-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bombshell, please continue to post here.

We are all struggling and we all understand how hard this is.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll not be the first person to join a few Class threads.

If you don't try something new, you're pretty much stuck with what you've gone...and that doesn't seem that good, bombshell?

Google lifering - they used to have a few meetings in Belfast?

D
Old 12-09-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys!

I've found an AA meeting in Belfast which is probably far enough away from my usual haunting ground so that no-one will recognise me, it's tomorrow at 8.30 and I've read about what to expect and I am planning (if I don't get cold feet!) to go.

Dee - I googled lifering in belfast and found a meeting on Tuesday which is quite far away and I don't know what to expect but I emailed the contact person there with some questions about what to expect so I am tempted to go there Tuesday, although I'm scared as it is quite a dodgy part of town and I would have to walk back home late at night so I don't know...

Anna, thank you for your encouragement. I will continue to post. I have to reach out and make contact with people or else nothing will get better. I realise this now. Thanks all of you so much for all the help. It really makes a difference to know that there are people here who know how it feels
Old 12-09-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

see what your contact says bombshell, maybe?
best of luck

D
Old 12-09-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bombshell View Post
I really feel like I need to take another step with this thing as it's been years now and nothing is changing. I need to step out of my comfort zone.
That's what it's all about...I had to do things I didn't want to do...Hear things I didn't want to hear. The rewards for me have been more than worth it.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Glad your here.

Awesome you found somewhere you think you can go.. Do it

I would just share that your worried about so called friends seeing you.. One they dont have to know anything. And two you will find out who are real friends.

Only people that care about you would want you to save your life and be happy doing it.. And I can tell you those people in the AA rooms will have your back..
Old 12-09-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Bombshell--Hey--I have not tried an on-line meeting but I have made it to 32 AA meetings in my 26 days of sobriety-- I was very hesitant to walk into a meeting and be "seen" by someone I knew---well guess what--it happened multiple times--they are in there for the same reason---for me the meetings have been a life saver (I'm not religious) ars I could not stop drinking. I have actually met some nice people so far--I tend to focus on the things in the meetings that make sense to me (so far) and not dwell on the things that do not agree with... Give it a try--the hardest thing i have ever done was to walk into that first AA meeting--It was also the best thing I have ever done!!
You'll do the right thing--let us know how it goes! Ben