Notices

Professional Beer Drinker

Old 12-09-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Professional Beer Drinker

Hi everyone, my name is John and I have been lurking for quite some time here but finally wanted to join the gang. I have been a professional beer drinker for well over 20 years and I have come to a point in my life where my drinking is ruining my everyday happiness.

I started off like most with my drinking being fun and being able to control it but 20 years on and I find myself coming home from work and polishing off at least a 12 pack of beer. What kills me is that I go on auto-pilot when I drink and I sit on the couch wasting the night away night after night. I want to do more with my life. I want to be a better husband and father. I want to embark on my artistic talents with painting and drawing. I want to be happy. I know I will have none of this if I continue to dilute my life with alcohol.

I have quit before, and like many I made the mistake of listening to my addictive voice and trying to moderate after a couple of months of sobriety. Trying to moderate is my single point of failure which throws me back into auto-pilot mode. I know this and need to be on my guard this time.
I have 6 days sober time right now and felt like a million bucks this morning when I woke. Looking forward to taking this sober journey with all of you.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I quit many times before as well, John, I just couldn't stay quit.

Committing to AA is the only thing that did the trick for me.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-09-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DAB

I'm glad you're here John!
I too was a every night beer drinker.
Many times I tried to control my drinking and I always ended up eventually drinking way too much. For me it was a special event like a company party at a bar where they provide free booze, a rock concert, traveling for work to a different country etc.
There is one thing I realized through AA that I wasn't really aware of before...
When I tried to control my drinking, I couldn't really enjoy it.
When I wanted to enjoy my drinking, I couldn't really control it.
For example when I would force myself to only have two or three, all I could think about was having two or three more, and even sneaking a few more behind my wife's back.
When I was really in the partying mood and not trying to control my intake, after about 8 I'd lose track and go on autopilot and how drunk I was going to get was anyone's guess.
All I can say is that with the help of AA I have remained sober longer than I have ever attempted before on my own.
The best of luck to you!
Old 12-09-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had similar habits as you.

Freedom came when I admitted I had a problem and accepted that I could not moderate my consumption.

The only solution was to not drink alcohol. Ever.

I've stayed sober with counselling and this forum.

Good for you!
Old 12-09-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome John! You sound ready to do this! You're off to a good start. I agree, moderating rarely works. It's easier not to have any. You are so right that alcohol dilutes life. Cheers to a sober and fulfilling new journey
Old 12-09-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, you sound a lot like me. I polished off gallons of beer nightly, and it got pretty terrible.

I think that if you've tried to quit many times, you have learned some things about yourself that can be put to good use, what works, what doesnt, and it is valuable to examine what false ideas led you back to the booze.

I did it, so can you. It keeps getting better.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR ((John))!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-09-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

how much does a professional beer drinker make in a year?

glad you found us!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello there. I to have thought I would only have a few. But the old saying is true,1 is too many and 100 not enough! I realize I must never pick up again. Just saying no is the only option for me.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
I started out as a professional beer drinker as well and rapidly fell into a non-profit career.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-09-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post

glad you found us!
I spent years being a professional beer(plus anything else I wanted) drinker. I worked behind the bar and drank the whole shift. I didnt make as much as I stole though..

But as you are pointing out and bob... Its not a profitable career...

I dont get paid in the rooms of AA, but I couldnt be more weathly today..
Old 12-09-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, John!

You have found a great place for support. I have been inspired by SR for many years.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the support, I truly appreciate it. One thing that always tripped me up was coming home from work and that little voice telling me to reward myself for a long day at work. Talk about a bad habit to get into. Weekends don't bother me as much as Weekday evenings.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome John!! I decided to retire my part time job as wine connoisseur 59 days ago. Six days is great, tomorrow you will hit the one week mark, and you are out of those first few not so fun days.

Glad you decided to join us on SR, I check in here daily, and the support and encouragement I have received has helped me remain sober for the longest time in my adult life (minus remaining sober for three pregnancies)

Looking forward to seeing you on here!
Old 12-09-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was pretty good at drinking beer, OK at drinking liqour and a damn expert at drinking wine!! Too bad I didn't get paid for any of it....sigh!
Old 12-09-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR John...from another ex professional

D
Old 12-09-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome John! I quit my wine drinking job before I was forced to retire on medical grounds 44 days ago! I feel quite splendid. The first few weeks is tough but I feel a million bucks right now. I've reclaimed my mornings and I've started writing again. I used to think alcohol helped the creative process. It doesn't!

Wishing you all the best.

S x
Old 12-09-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi John. Your beer career sounds just about like mine. Thanks so much for posting about that little voice that that surfaces after a long day at work--I totally understand what you mean.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
DAB

Originally Posted by SoberJohn View Post
Thanks everyone for the support, I truly appreciate it. One thing that always tripped me up was coming home from work and that little voice telling me to reward myself for a long day at work. Talk about a bad habit to get into. Weekends don't bother me as much as Weekday evenings.
I used to tell myself that I wasn't going to drink that day after getting to work.
By the end of the workday I had talked myself back into it.
Even when I still intended not to drink, all it took was the drive by the liquor store, at that moment, without thinking, I would turn into the parking lot to get beer.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I used to be pretty professional at beer drinking, or drinking anything with alcohol in it myself, till it almost killed me.
When they say its progressive, they aren't kidding.

No more, and its like rejoining life.