Notices

Hi

Old 12-09-2012, 05:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

Hi, i'm Stu i'm 30, where to start Ive been a heavy drinker from the age of sixteen where i was drinking 2 litres of cheap cider a day until i was 21 then i started to drink larger up until this very day, i DONT ever crave a drink, which i think is a good thing but i don't drink every day and every day since i was sixteen. I have a rule of thumb that i don't drink before 5 in the afternoon so i am in someway i think controlled and i never get paralytic, i hate that feeling but i just love to drink, the feeling it gives me and helps me to relax But now my health is staring to suffer

I am taking approx 17/18 units a day and have told the doctor this so she sent me for blood results where everything came back normal apart from my u and e results which have come back borderline :S, what does this mean i'm asking my self but the doc cant give me any advise until Ive had my scan so i have to wait until then

Any way me and my partner, who also drinks have decided to give up the drink during the week and look forward to a weekend,i'm unsure if this is a good or bad thing, but my last night is tonight i hope

I hope to get much advice from you all and of course support

Thanks for reading...
Old 12-09-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi stu, welcome to SR. You took the first important step already. You talked about it. Stick around, there are many supportive people here.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Stu

Welcome to our family.
I am in the UK to, bit further down the A1 from you.

I would have a full discussion with your doctor as to what your results mean. None of us are medics and cannot interpret them for you.

For me drinking just resulted in making me unhappy, not the person I wanted to be.
By coming to SR I have got myself 300 days sober today and if you want to change things you can, like me, it will just take a bit of work.

I hope you stick around and learn lots here.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome.

It's common for people with a drinking problem to make a vow like, 'I'll never drink before 5 o'clock'.
If you believe you have a problem, my best advice is to stop. I used to make solemn vows about not drinking before a certain time, not drinking on Sundays ad infinum.

Despite all this, I became an alcoholic drinking around the clock some days. Drinking in the morning, yech, it just got worse until I had no control over when I drank. I lived for and HAD to drink.

I hope you don't let yourself reach the level I did. For me, it was complete abstinance or nothing.
Feel free to post as often as you like and it's nice to have you here.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try not drinking for 60-90 days and let us know how it goes.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Stu! I wish I'd done what you're doing at age 30. I could have avoided so much misery. If you are an alcoholic (and only you can really know) please remember it's a progressive disease. I was still in control at your age, but by 50 I was drinking 'round the clock. I never dreamed I'd ever allow that to happen. So, you are wise to be cautious.

We are here for you. You'll find all sorts of wisdom and good suggestions. Congratulations for taking this brave step.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Stu

D
Old 12-10-2012, 12:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone my life starts today.