Notices

My Needs - Her Needs; Trouble Brewing

Old 12-08-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Needs - Her Needs; Trouble Brewing

Okay, I am a melancholy temperament since childhood(testing, testing, more testing) and really have absolutely no need for interaction with people outside those that I have deep trust with. Chit/chat, shallow conversation has absolutely no place in my life or reality. She wants much, much more social interaction, ( parties, social gatherings, theater, dance clubs, etc.) than I can ever endure, tolerate, or act through.

After a binge that I cannot explain about 8 weeks ago, i have been in AA at least once a week. However, I give AA absolutely no credit with my sobriety since I don't foresee any place that I might "share" AA moments.

I have never been drawn to AA or to working AV type rehabs. For me it's always been satisfaction of ideal over futuristic ideal.

I cannot change core ideal but you CAN change core expectations.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Howdy!

I'm not sure if you want to vent about your partner, AA or it being Saturday; did you want to share more about your relationship with your sober partner?

(This is the section of SR's website for Friends/Family of Alcoholics)
Old 12-08-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You might want to go to the Alcoholism forum - loads of support and expertise over there!

Best to you!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello CowboyPastor,

I took the liberty of moving your thread to Newcomers. I think you will receive a lot of support from others who are dealing with a sober spouse while recovering.

I wish you and yours the very best!

HG
Old 12-09-2012, 04:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A loving relationship is all about compromise.

You don't attend social functions with others you barely know because you love chit chat...you go because your partner enjoys it, you enjoy time with your partner and you love her.

No?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again CowboyPastor

I'm not a big social person either but I go do things because my partner likes to get out of the house every so often, y'know... other times I'll stay home.

Sometimes she'll go with me to a gig or whatever and sometimes she won't.

A lot of couples make the opposites thing work...others don't.

From your post I have to admit I'm not sure what exactly this has to do with alcoholism tho...it can be pretty standard relationship stuff

D
Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did not get sober to be miserable, I was miserable enough when I drank-I needed a willingness to change, not expect others to change to meet my expectations. So if willingness is not part of my program of recovery I might as well drink.