Notices

Tips for Staying Sober Around the Holidays?

Old 12-08-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tips for Staying Sober Around the Holidays?

Hi all,

I'm new here and I've been sober for about 5 months. Now that the holidays are coming up, I'm feeling a lot more pressure to drink around family and friends. There seems to be a never-ending barrage of holiday parties and the like.

Does anyone have any tips for how to cope with social pressure? It's not like people are *trying* to pressure me to drink, but at the same time I don't really want to tell every single stranger who offers me a drink that I'm an alcoholic.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Hi Walter, congrats on the 5 months! For me, I was careful to avoid any social situations I didn't feel comfortable attending. Then, as I became more secure in my sobriety, it became easier to go to a party and request a soda or water. I expected to get a lot of flack about not drinking, but was quite shocked to see nobody even noticed! It's much more of a big deal to us than to anyone else, I discovered. Don't allow yourself to feel "pressured" about anything, especially not drinking. Remember..."those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"!
If you really need an excuse, saying simply "I don't feel well" or "I'm allergic" should suffice.
Enjoy the holidays!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the tip. I guess I'm just really self-conscious about people noticing still. The "I don't feel well" tip is probably a good one, especially since I've had this crazy cold lately anyway.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is one of the best links I know Walter

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

Basically, noone can make me do what I don't want to do. And I don't want to return to that life.

I don't think we need to give really big explanations either - a no thanks should be enough for most people.

Think about the occasions before hand - will it be a booze fest? do you feel a little vulnerable? do you really need to go?

If you do go, think about likely scenarios and how to handle them - and have an escape plan if things get overwhelming.

Above all, don't worry - if you want to stay sober you will

D
Old 12-08-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

'No thanks, I don't drink.'

' Why not?'

'Lifestyle change.'

End.