Notices

do the cravings for opiates ever stop

Old 12-08-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

do the cravings for opiates ever stop

Hi,

My boyfriend is a heroine addict. He does not use it regularly but he tends to use it once in every 4 or 6 months to cope up with stress, pressure or just because of boredom. The last time he took a fix I couldnt take it anymore and took one too. So we met up with a doctor and he prescribed him 2mg dosage of suboxone and now after a month he has reduced it to 4 tablets of 0.4mg. I am really worried that he will start getting the cravings again and now I am worried that I will get into it too.

So I wanted to know if there is an end to this cycle of cravings or can suboxone along with therapy play a role in helping him to get off it permanently
Old 12-08-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

NA , and your higher power. One day at a time. If that is to long then 5 minutes at a time. Good luck. P.s. Yall dont ever have to use again!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes they do but it takes time. Sometimes it can be a few months or years before the brain really goes "back to normal" if there is such a thing. In the beginning you really have to take it one minute, hour, or day at a time.

I would recommend NA or AA if you find that you can't stay stopped on your own. Be careful. I rode the opiate train right into an abyss and it been almost impossible to claw my way back out. The only thing that hasn't happened yet is death or prison. But everything else that comes with this addiction (stealing, bankruptcy, near arrests, loosing family and friends, health problems, suicidal depression, etc.) DID eventually happen to me in two years of being an addict.

Take this seriously before you can't go back.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome faith

I have no experience with opiate addiction but I know that there are many of us here in long term recovery.

I understand you're nervous but if your bf really wants to stay clean, he will...and the same goes for you

I'm glad you've joined us. Support really helps.

D
Old 12-08-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi faith, Yes the cravings go. Physical ones fairly quickly the obsession to use varies but for many of us within a few months. My experience has been that I needed support, I could not do it alone. I go to NA and it has saved my life and given me a new one. But I am believe there are many recovery paths and that they all have the same base things in common.

Here is a link to some of the recovey methods http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Posting here alsio really helped in early days, that was about the first two years.

Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions

Kevin