Notices

Meds for alcohol withdrawal

Old 12-07-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Meds for alcohol withdrawal

Do most people that drink everyday require medication to lessen the severity of withdrawal?

Has anyone tried any certain medications that worked really well to help them through the transition safely?

If so, how long did you need the medication... like 2 weeks or something like that? I don't want to take something for a long time, especially not a benzodiazepine, they are just as bad as alcohol.

I'm having some problems, they started last night. Heart rate is elevated 110, blood pressure is 160/80 (and I never have had high blood pressure), hurting in my chest, headache, shaking inside, panic feeling. Last drink was yesterday at 11 am. I'm going to have to push the pause button on abstinence until I can get this done safely.

OMG, you have no idea how much hate to go see a doctor for help, but I believe I'm going to need a beta-blocker or something to help me do this safely. I'd write a prescription for myself just to not have to seek help, but it's unethical and I can't do that! God, I hate to go to the doctor, even more so since it's for help with something like this!!!

Anyone been there and done that? Would like to know what worked well for you.

I don't like taking medication, but I believe I'm going to need some help with withdrawals. This is physically harder than I thought it would be.

Thanks for any advice you have.

Daisy
Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

It's always a very good idea to talk to your dr before detoxing from alcohol. We can't give any kind of medical advice here, but it can be dangerous to detox from alcohol.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi,

It's always a very good idea to talk to your dr before detoxing from alcohol. We can't give any kind of medical advice here, but it can be dangerous to detox from alcohol.
Sorry, I didn't want to break any rules. Just was wanting to learn from others experience. I didn't know. -- Daisy
Old 12-07-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Daisy
I never used any meds myself.

It is best to speak to your Dr tho, I think

We all have individual aspects to our health - whats worked for others may not work or may not even be suitable for you.

D
Old 12-07-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As others have said, talk to your doctor.

My experience is that I've had meds prescribed a couple of times (slow learner here) for withdrawal symptoms, primarily shaking. On both occasions I was prescribed valium which I took for 36 - 48 hours and then stopped. I didn't finish the prescription either time because I was concerned about becoming dependent on something else.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No medical advice for you, but just want to share some support for you. Once you get through this, you're going to feel so much better. You can do this and please know you're not alone
Old 12-07-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Daisy: Why is it that you fear going to the doctor? You are asking us for medical advice, something which we cannot give. You say you are about to take a drink. You've got an illness. That's what doctors are for. Nothing to be ashamed of. Which is better- doing something about it or letting it get worse. If you're an alcoholic it will get worse and one way or another you'll end up under a doctor's care. Why not see one right now?

W.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Daisy -

Are there any doctors in your area that specialize in addiction? You might find it easier to talk to someone like that. Google it, or call a local rehab and see what physician(s) they might be able to recommend.

Doctors are always dealing with addicts and alcoholics, probably most of them in denial. I think any good physician would be proud of you for wanting to do this. Besides, you deserve to get the best help you can. :ghug3
Old 12-07-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Doctor Doctor Doctor is a very very very good way to go..

I drank daily for decades. And one of my detox's I went in to the ER.. Because my chest hurt so bad. So It was super busy that day. I got EKG right away and then had to wait..

After several hours of just sitting I got my vital's..

189/154
and HR 135..

Every detox for me they gave me ativan. 10 day taper supply..

Go do it safely and you will never have to do it again..