Notices

This is going to be the hard part.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is going to be the hard part.

I'm exhausted and still stressed out. I am almost off work, and when I get done I'm going to go home.

Now here comes the hard part. I am in the habit of medicating my stress, exhaustion, frustration, confusion -- with a bottle of wine, especially -- ESPECIALLY on a Friday night. It would be so easy to just swing by the gorcery store, kick my shoes off, stretch out, putter around and open up that bottle.

It's the only way I know how to distance myself from the general beating I take all week. It's the only thing I've learned to do to feel better.

But I am not going to drink tonight.

I'm going to be posting here all night probably and I am going to try to just go to bed instead. I HAVE to sleep -- although I'm not kidding myself, I betcha anything part of the reason I feel so crap is because of withdrawal.

It's kind of interesting though. The worse I feel the more determined I am to try to feel better a normal way. If i feel this awful now I must have been seriously poisoning myself.

Anyway, hi everybody, I'm Medicatrix and I'll be posting here at least until I fall asleep. Which might be in like two hours
Old 12-07-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One thing you could consider doing...dump all the booze in the house down the drain.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! It's not easy, but you will feel pride tomorow morning instead of guilt. Post post post!!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great!

I think recovery is all about learning new and healthy ways to live.

Enjoy your evening!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Just try to remember, you can get through a few hours tonight without alcohol, and think how great you will feel in the morning. Take it minute by minute. Put some mind-numbing TV on, have SR at hand, and post away.

You can do this. And it will get easier and easier to pass up that drink.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by medicatrix View Post
I'm exhausted and still stressed out. I am almost off work, and when I get done I'm going to go home.

Now here comes the hard part. I am in the habit of medicating my stress, exhaustion, frustration, confusion -- with a bottle of wine, especially -- ESPECIALLY on a Friday night. It would be so easy to just swing by the gorcery store, kick my shoes off, stretch out, putter around and open up that bottle.

It's the only way I know how to distance myself from the general beating I take all week. It's the only thing I've learned to do to feel better.
Did you read my mind? Its uncanny. I have been having a conversation with myself for the last 1/2 houir about why I should not pass my favorite wine shop on the way home tonight and then why it would be OK to pass my favorite wine shop on the way home tonight. I do have some errands to run after work so I won't be home unitl a bit later but I am going to check in here and I am sure that I will see that you are still staying strong as I also hope to do.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

TTBABP, I'll be here. Go home, get comfy and start posting and I'll be right here too. Promise. Friday night, no alcohol. Sleep, hydrate, dream, heal. For me it's day seven tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Fridays were a big deal for me too - for decades.
But I had one sober Friday...then another...then another...it got easier.

I no longer look at Friday as any different

You can do this medicatrix, you too TTBABP and anyone else reading

D
D
Old 12-07-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm here . Home, comfy...were the heck are ya T??
Old 12-07-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also struggled a GREAT deal with the Friday night, end of week, reward myself with poison, I deserve this routine.
I stuck on SR like glue & with the encouragement of Dee & other SR people, I made it through 1, then 2 Fridays, etc. And it does get easier. After 2-3 months, Friday was like any other day.
Well done on a week sober!
Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks PurpleCatLover!

I could really feel the thoughts trooping into my head the last hour of work.

. You know what it reminds me of? You know those old cinema advertisements for popcorn and hot dogs at the snack bar in a movie theatre? A tub of popcorn tapdancing and taking a bow, holding hands with a hot dog, sort of gliding across the screen. Enter...winebottle...doing a little softshoe across the back of my head, music...dum de diddly dum...
Old 12-07-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I have been having a conversation with myself .
That's an interesting observation, because for me, it was a conversation I was having with my appetite for alcohol, with my addiction in other words. I learned to separate my thinker from my drinker, and realized that I no longer had to drink. When that penny dropped, the lights went on and the door opened unto me. Yea, verily, that was the last drink I took.

(Drinking) is the only way I know how to distance myself from the general beating I take all week. It's the only thing I've learned to do to feel better.
I found drinking stopped working very well for that purpose, and then stopped working well for any other purpose at all. Once I got the booze out of my system, I got the bug to learn other more effective ways of dealing with the beatings. These tools might just be the secret weapons that people who don't drink use all the time.

When I stopped drinking, the beatings didn't stop, but my morale improved anyway. Pretty danged sure it will work that way for you too.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Medicatrix - looks like I just missed ya. I am here now comfy, too. Going to go make my third cup of tea shortly though. I hope you are still OK. If I don't catch you again tonight - please update tomorrow. Keep on keepin on
Old 12-07-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by medicatrix View Post
TTBABP, I'll be here. Go home, get comfy and start posting and I'll be right here too. Promise. Friday night, no alcohol. Sleep, hydrate, dream, heal. For me it's day seven tomorrow.
Th one week mark is huge!! Fridays are tough, but they get easier. Your body can probably use the extra sleep. Glad you chose SR over the wine!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

. Hey there. I've got a caffeine free Diet Coke and I am watching Glee on Hulu. Not that exciting, but I am shredded and need to empty my brain.

Gonna be a great day tomorrow. No hangover, not you and not me either.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So much support this Friday night! Awesome this resource is here- I have read very encouraging words and I really appreciate everyone who shares. It helps me to feel so not alone and to read a lot of what I have lived...thanks!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TTBABP View Post
Hey Medicatrix - looks like I just missed ya. I am here now comfy, too. Going to go make my third cup of tea shortly though. I hope you are still OK. If I don't catch you again tonight - please update tomorrow. Keep on keepin on
Great job TTBABP!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

it is day 1 for me my man and the 2 bottles of wine i had every night went down the drain 3 hours ago. You will get thru it. just like you i bet i am posting all night long. My poison helped me fall asleep. Feels like a long night but at got a good move and a bottle of tonic to sip on. You can do it
Old 12-07-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Propped up in bed here, have my TV on, my coffee and Diet Rite Cola......and SR. Best thing I ever did was invest in a laptop - I lived on this site for days when I first got sober. It really helps give you some ammunition to fight those dancing wine bottles.....
Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Medi - looks like we are just ships that pass in the night tonight. Glad you are enjoying a nice Diet Coke and Glee.

Delilah - thanks for the encouragement - much appreciated.

Well gotta go finish my laundry - ugh. Then off to sleep to wake up refreshed and well rested.

Medi- check you on the morrow!