Notices

Made it through last night but feeling very tire today

Old 12-07-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it through last night but feeling very tire today

Hi guys, thanks for your support yesterday. I took a bath (thanks for suggesting that Fandy) and made some crab cakes instead of drinking. So that means, in the last 8 days I only drank twice - when we visited the resort. Woohoo! That's the best I've done in years.

I do plan to drink some wine this weekend, but I will closely monitor how it makes me feel next week: depression levels, withdrawals, and so forth. If it continues to make me feel trapped, I will consider giving it up altogether. For now I am still trying to see if I am still able to adjust to weekend drinking only. I am giving myself until the new year with this experiment.

My question is this: this morning I woke up feeling quite groggy and tired, to the point where I had to lie down again after brushing my teeth. Do you think it's possible that my sugar levels are changing? I would assume that drinking a bottle of wine each night spikes your sugars a lot and therefore gives a false perception of energy when you're actually hung over in the morning. Any ideas?
Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

It is called withdrawl from alcohol
Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope you quit all together. Sounds like you're suffering for
Pretty bad with withdrawls. For me quitting was what really changed my life. Totally gave me super powers. Haha.

Good luck!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I drank only wine, usually a bottle a night and usually a few beers (strong ones!) on top of that and some mornings I would wake up ready to rock and roll while others it was quite the struggle. I have found that the only thing that gives me a reliable and real sense of energy and force is not drinking at all. But then that is me. Usually for me I would be fine the first morning after drinking and then it would get progressively worse as the days in a row continued until I felt like complete s**t by the 5 day or so.

I didn't want to give it up either, I would tell myself if I am good all week then I get Friday night. But then Friday would turn into Saturday night and so forth until it was Thursday Morning feeling horrible. Uggh! Good luck and keep posting!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Boy, it sure seems like you put a lot of time, energy, effort and planning around how much alcohol you will consume.

I find not drinking easier.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Look, I know you guys are all for not drinking period. I am not saying that you are wrong. Yes, Xune, I am planning it for now, because I am hoping to restructure my drinking so that I am not craving it during the week. I don't feel like this is that different from someone giving up fat and sugary foods and craving it at first, but then losing weight and getting healthy, and being able to have a burger once in a while. It's all addiction.

I know that most of the people on this site have failed at moderating their drinking, and Danrayman, if my Saturday turns into a Sunday and so forth, I will have to have a new plan like quitting altogether. I wold just like to try this first, with my best effort, and try to restructure my life, before admitting that I am completely powerless in being to moderate my drinking.

Thank you, and I appreciate your continued support.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you don't have a drinking problem and can sucesfully moderate the consumption of alcohol for the rest of your life...

Why are you posting here?

I genuinely do not undestand.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am posting here in hopes of finding friends who can support me and encourage me in times when I risk losing focus on controlling my drinking. I am here to talk to people who have similar problems with alcohol and understand what I am going though, because my current friends do not. I am here for support, encouragement, success stories, and comradery.

We are all built differently, are at different stages of addiction, and have our own ways of dealing with things. I am HOPING that my success story will be that I am able to consume alcohol in healthy doses and give more focus to other things in my life. I never once said that I do not have a drinking problem or that I CAN successfully do this, so please do not misinterpret my words. What I did say is that I am giving myself a month to determine whether this is the method I will choose to stick with, and based on my findings I will figure out what to do next.

I am posting here to connect with people through sharing my struggles and experiences. I am certainly not posting so that I can be judged because I did not take the same approach as you. If you do not feel that you can be helpful based on the path I am choosing, then please feel free to help others.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Now now everyone let's play nice

As the site's name implies, "Sober Recovery" is about sobriety not controlled drinking. Most people have caused themselves a lot of pain going down the controlled drinking path so they are pretty touchy when it comes to anything but abstinence. All of us want that one glass of wine on the weekend but to most of us it is a death sentence. So talk of something that will kill us is not taken lightly
Old 12-07-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ok, I just don't think that attacking someone while they are vulnerable and asking for help is reasonable. I am sorry, I didn't know all the rules of this website. I've only been here a week. I thought this site was here to help everyone. A recommendation for a different site would be much appreciated.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If I were vulnerable...

I wouldn't drink alcohol.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

IMO, The site is here to help and support those that wish to get sober or to convince alcoholic individuals that sobriety is the best couse of action. It is not here to give advise on controlled drinking.

I have not a clue on other sites as sobriety is my only option, sorry.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You know, it's a shame, I thought I found a supportive community without judgment here. Looks like I need to hit rock bottom before I can be "accepted" here. Take care all, I'm off to find ways to prevent that from happening.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Nostalgia, take a look at some threads by a member called PaulAdmits, his intent was much the same as yours. It might be useful for you.

Best to you.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Nostalgia, take a look at some threads by a member called PaulAdmits, his intent was much the same as yours. It might be useful for you.

Best to you.
Very very interesting read. Have to remember when controlled drinking comes up again. In theory he had a great plan but he under-estimated his foe
Old 12-07-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sometimes emails/ texts can be taken wrong.. 99.9% want to help.. Please give everyone the benefit of doubt.. Please.. Good, Kind, great folks here.. I have my own issues I'm dealing with, very new to the site but in my hundreds of hours of reading, these folks care soo much.. Just my 2 thoughts..
Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I removed some posts that were personal in nature.

Guys, we're big on personal responsibility here.

If, as a reader, you don't like a thread or a poster, or what they're trying to do - you don't have to read the thread, or you can use the ignore function.

If as a poster you don't like some of the responses you're getting you can use the ignore function.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
D
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

You know, it's a shame, I thought I found a supportive community without judgment here. Looks like I need to hit rock bottom before I can be "accepted" here. Take care all, I'm off to find ways to prevent that from happening.
Support isn't always what we want to hear, Nostalgia.

Most of us have tried controlled drinking - I know I did...for two decades...and it simply didn't work.

We'd be doing you a disservice if we pretended it did.

I understand people want to try the moderation/controlled drinking route. I did myself....but you're in the midst of a community who have found overwhelmingly that abstinence is the best solution.

If you want to go your own way - it's of course your life and it's your call...but do try to understand where others are coming from.

For some of us our attempts at controlled drinking nearly killed us.

I recommend you push through with a plan to quit entirely - you'll find you feel better on several different levels

D
Old 12-07-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Danrayman

I recommend you start your own thread...you may get lost in this one

D
Old 12-07-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

sorry to say i feel some are usually self righteous & condescending in their responses....ignore, ignore, ignore...