Notices

Hello? Wine is Booze.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello? Wine is Booze.

I just wanted to say this.

have you noticed lately that wine is everywhere? Eeeeeverybody is drinking wine. Women, especially, who don't want to drink beer or who feel that drinking spirits are too hardcore or masculine are sucking this stuff down in a pretty glass everywhere you look.

The grocery store has wine just everywhere. It used to be you'd go into the grocery store and walk down the cereal aisle and get cereal, and then you'd go to the checkout line and so forth. Now...I swear there are wine bottles everywhere, on every end cap, in every aisle. Pasta? Need some wine with that? Deli counter? You need a "wine pairing" with your baloney, right?

And just in case you *forgot to pick up your wine* -- it's right at the checkout, right before you go to pay. Not to mention in a refrigerated case just in case you'd like it chilled, or sitting out with some attractive bread and cheese, or on some display sitting right in the middle of the floor.

At the grocery store you could totally forget that wine was booze and think that it was the most essential and important kind of food there is.

If you walked into a grocery store and saw, say, Cheese Puffs stuffed onto the end of every end cap, you'd start to think the shelver had gone crazy, or that whoever owned the store had a really strange obsession with Cheese Puffs. But if it's wine, well...it's what? Classy? Gourmet? A treat?

It's booze! In a pretty bottle that wants to look sophisticated and flatter you by telling you that if you drink it, you are really smart because you know what kind of wine to buy.

I have spent so much money on this booze I can't even really get my head around the numbers. It has been my main food group for at least three years. If drinking this stuff made me smart or sophisticated, or educated or worldly, trust me, I would know by now.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Superb post Medic
Yep over here in the UK is the same. I quit booze 4 + years ago and I am a much sexier, brighter and intelligent person without it. Who knew
Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by medicatrix View Post
have you noticed lately that wine is everywhere? Eeeeeverybody is drinking wine. Women, especially, who don't want to drink beer or who feel that drinking spirits are too hardcore or masculine are sucking this stuff down in a pretty glass everywhere you look.
Please don't get me started on those God awful shows like Cougar Town. As if the show itself and or the commercials aren't bad enough they even depict the TBS logo "getting drunk" off of wine! They literally animate the logo itself filling with red liquid and personifying as if it's drunk. A lot of the new sitcoms really seem to be embracing the whole, let's just sit around and drink a bunch of wine and have some quirky conversations. Your right...it is everywhere.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wine was my drink of choice. I belonged to private wine tasting groups and live just over the mountains from some of the best wineries in the world. Some people can enjoy a glass of wine. I just enjoyed it way too much. I can't just have some wine, I have to have it all. Yes alcohol sales are pushed everywhere we look. For people like me alcohol is just plain dangerous. It took many years to learn that too. I am enjoying sobriety more than any glass of wine ever.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I live in the wine country where the vineyards are. Never developed a taste for the stuff. It's omnipresent and and an insufferable bore, but I could live worse places.

Do you really need to offer wine at an art showing or a business networking event? They don't offer vodka or pot, but people get drunk just the same. Not falling down drunk, but you know what I mean... overly social and rambling on. Probably uncorked another one when they got home.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your right - red wine was my vice- it's everywhere

Responsible supermarkets?..right!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Free at last!

There are ongoing attempts by the medical profession and some government people here in the UK to get prices up, and try to convince supermarkets to act more responsibly. The supermarkets have wine piled high from the moment you walk in and on the end of many aisles, including the dairy, where I buy my milk and yoghurt from!

I had a dental appointment yesterday at 9am, yes 9am. On the reception desk were mince pies and glasses, with bottles of sherry and wine ready to be poured for customers who wanted a bit of Xmas cheer. The last place I was expecting to see alcohol and it threw me for a bit and shocked me, because I was there to receive expensive treatment on some of my teeth, due to enamel loss and pain from years of alcoholic wine drinking.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wine is really the only thing I miss about quitting. I love the lore of wine, the history, the exploration of terroire, etc. Sometimes I still read about it but now it's an abstract to me since I can't touch the stuff.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Face book..all I read is peeps saying cant wait to get home and have a GLASS of wine, as if its ONE glass. Mass possession here in the UK along with Mass Denial , West end tonight in London will be full of drunk sick stained Zombies, I know I will be dealing with em
Old 12-07-2012, 02:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

FANTASTIC post.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

its true, christmas is coming and the big 4 supermarkets are doing there cut price litre of spirit campaigns call me paranoid but maybe the over population problem is being delt with death by alcohol lol......
Old 12-07-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yep, wine was my drink of choice. I am also catholic, which involved having my first drink at 7 ( first communion) lol....thank god red wine wasn't mine thing (white wine girl). Anywho, Jesus drank wine, right? I used that excuse for a long time. Thanks for the post!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, I am an alcoholic I realise now but wine is the only thing I drink. Have really tried to find substitutes but I don't like the taste. It's not even the alcohol hit I want, I just like the taste of wine..
Old 12-07-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wine was my drink too. I am 15 days sober, but have spent 2 years sober for days, once 4 months, at a time. And What a trigger those shows are for me!! Happy Endings is one I watch, and most any drama or comedy ends up with a group or a couple sitting with a glass fo red wine. But on Cougar Town, they really did glorify getting intoxicated. They act tipsy and it is worked into many plots.

Talk about cravings! I should have turned off the TV, I know.

It does not seem to bother me too terribly this time around. But my head is in a better place about quitting.

It is amazing to see how much people drink when you look through sober eyes. And to realize you were one of them.

It will never go away. it is a huge piece of the economy, as well as culture.

I also miss it. I also like the taste for wines, and the history and visiting wineries, etc...

Oh well, I don't drink anymore. And I don't feel like crap this morning.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It is true that it's absolutely everywhere. Luckily for me though, where I live wine is not sold anywhere but in liquor stores. Grocery stores only carry beer which I do not like. I still feel like it's very pervasive though.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Alcohol is my problem, not their problem.

The location and amount of wine available for purchase is not a problem for me.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

I love that humongous wine glass on cougar town! it's hillarious!
Old 12-07-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Xune, I do agree. It does not really make me angry or anything. But, newly sober, I am sensitive to it.

Where I live, beer and wine are not sold in grocery stores. So, I am referencing TV.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Decide. Commit. Succeed.

fantastic post medic!!!

Originally Posted by medicatrix View Post
It's booze! In a pretty bottle that wants to look sophisticated and flatter you by telling you that if you drink it, you are really smart because you know what kind of wine to buy.
Former wine snob here. I'm baffled by my stupidity. What was I thinking?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

i've noticed this too, wine is being treated more and more like an "impulse buy" item. buy one get one, end cap, cash wrap, those little one serving bottles...