More grief

Old 12-06-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

More grief

So this afternoon I have to put my dog to sleep.
She's old & hasn't been well & it is time.
She was a pound dog that my girls & I got about 5 years ago. She would have been put to sleep then if we hadn't of taken her.
We never really knew how old she was but she aged quickly after about 2 years of being with us.
Even though she is old & a bit sick she never fails to smile at us, greet us each day with a big "hello" that actually sounds like hello lol & she dances on all four feet around us & used to chatter her teeth at us when she was real happy.
I feel yuck after feeling so good but recognise that this is going to be extremely hard for me as I will be with her when she goes & that I will be in grief afterwards. My girls & I will have a little service for her & bury her at home. It will be real hard on them but we will go through it together.
It's been a few months of grief now with breaking up with abf & now more.
I guess I know this too shall pass but I will accept that it is necessary to feel the grief to get through.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so sorry that you're going thru this. Losing a beloved pet is so painful. One of my dogs died last October and I was heartbroken.

****** hugs }}}
Old 12-06-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Our pets are our family. You were lucky to have her and she was very lucky to have you! Sending you hugs and sympathy. I have been there and it sucks but remembering the love they give us makes it a little easier I suppose. :-)
Old 12-06-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, a dog is a trusted friend that loves you no matter what is going on in life. No doubt she will be missed. Just remember that you did the best in this world for her and she gave you so much love that will never go away. Love her even now after the passing by never forgetting what an amazing friend/family member she was.

Feel better soon, my heart aches for your family take care.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dear Rosie, my heart goes out to you. I have had to do the same (more than one time).

The universe allows us to have them only for a certain time---her spirit will live on with you and your family. Remember to let the girls freely express their feelings and to talk about their memories of her. May your heart be comforted, in time, by the warm memories of your precious time together.

I am thinking of you.

very sincerely, dandylion
Old 12-06-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Iceberg Ahead!

I'm so sorry for you Rosiepetal.

Treasure her & her memory.

I wish you serenity.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

I had my dog since i was about 9 and then she passed away when i was 18. she was the best dog and it took awhile before i came to terms with not seeing her again. its crazy how a pet can be so much apart of our lives they become one of the family but the good thing is that they were and we remember and know how much we love/loved and took care of them.
your dog has had a good life to be loved by a family such as yours and to be cherished even after that life has ended.
celebrate that love and life.
My heart goes out to you
Old 12-06-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I am so sorry about your pet. My dog is eleven and has always been a source of comfort to me. I hope the unconditional love that you and your family received from your pet will find you in other ways...So sorry for your loss....
Old 12-06-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I Know...

...it's very hard to do. I had to put down my 12 year friend. Stayed with her while the vet did the injection then sat there in the floor with her and cried like a little girl for a long, long time. I know your pain and will say a prayer for peace for you.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know this unselfish pain all too well. I had to put my girl down on Oct 7th of 2011 and it is never easy. I had her for 13 years but she was 14 when she passed. She was my best friend and was there every time I needed a shoulder to cry on. She licked my tears many times and did the same as I cried over her passing until she could lick no more. Losing my dogs is like losing one of my children.

Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.
Roger Caras~

This quote was given to me when I lost my first rottweiler to hip dysplacia at the young age of 9 years. He didn't have a gray hair on his muzzle. He was my first dog out on my own and I still think of him just like I do my girl. I am so blessed to have the love of my Boxer Mummy and my female rottweiler Boo Boo. They certainly know how to love unconditionally at the drop of a hat when needed.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Aww Rosie, I am so so sorry. I have a giant doggy friend who is 125 pounds and is about 13 years old. I know she is winding down. I will miss the hell out of her when she goes, but will also remember how much joy she brought into my life.

She will be waiting for you across the rainbow bridge. I know it. You did the right and loving thing. Before my current Monster, I had another one I had to put down, and I sat there with her at the Vet, watched the life leave her eyes and knew I would see her again. Just like you will see your's again. She's in a better place, with all the other pets and family that went before her. They are all going to be greeting you one day, and it will be a celebration to beat all others.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

((rosie petal)) thank you, for giving this girl her forever home with you and your girls. She knew real love and that is the greatest gift.

I am sorry, I know it hurts so much. You will make it through this, and be there for your sweet pupper dog. You are giving her a safe and painless journey, and she wont be alone. She will know love, and comfort with you being there for her. That is what best friends do.
Bless you.
chicory
Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear that, it's so difficult when we lose a precious pet...
Old 12-06-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I hope the following helps you as much as it has helped me over the years
every time I have had to send a fur kid to The Rainbow Bridge:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
I have it on my refrigerator where I can read it any time. I can tell you it does
not get any easier, but poem does help me.

Hope it helps you and your children a bit also.

Love and hugs,
Old 12-06-2012, 11:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all so very very much.
She went peacefully & in my arms.
We had a funeral in the back yard.
The girls made special cards with shared memories & pictures & prayers.
They placed sweetpea bunches in the grave cut from our garden.
They put their cards in the grave along with dog roll in case she got hungry lol.
She had her soft toys around her.
My eldest read out her prayer.
She was wrapped in a blanket my youngest gave her a while back.
I received the book "the language of letting go" today which is dated & I turned to Dec 7th & the meditation was called "when the time is right". My eldest read this out loud at the grave.
I have read them all your blessings & they said thank you & it was nice & my youngest says you made her feel a little better.
Precious.
xx
Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh, Rosie. I'm so sorry.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I am so sorry, I know the pain, I had to put my 18 yo Shih Tzu to sleep last month. I am sure that they are best of friends now, running and playing...once again.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Prayers and hugs today, Rosie. What a nice ending to her life.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh Rosie, I am so terribly sorry. But I am sure there was the sweetest yellow hound waiting for her when she passed and that they both know how much they were loved, and how much they are and will be missed.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am so sorry. We lost one of ours a week ago today.
Dogs are one of the great blessings we have as humans.

Good for you for rescuing such a kind soul and giving her a happy home.