Notices

I'm new, had a vivitrol shot and know scared

Old 12-06-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new, had a vivitrol shot and know scared

Hello to all! I'm Teasha, I've been drinking for24 years. I'm 39, 2 kids 4 and 11 and married 5 years this month. I chose (kind of talked into by my therapist) to get the vivitrol shot because my cravings and will were out of my control. So I did this Tuesday and since I have had no urge to drink but my anxiety is so bad I almost called 911 on myself today. I am super depressed and I feel like I'm doing this to myself as I self medicated my anxiety with alcohol. Any questions feel free. I'm not sure what else to say. :-)
Old 12-06-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

find a method of staying stopped

AVRT
Rational Recovery
SMART
Life Ring
AA
Women for Recovery

and work it well!!!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Tea

I'm sorry you're feeling bad.

If your anxiety is that overwhelming, I really encourage you to see your Dr - get some professional advice and set your mind at ease

D
Old 12-06-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I talked with my doc and therapist. They both basically told me to relax and breath. They won't give me anything, which I probably wouldn't take because I hate drugs. Lol.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, you likely have to learn to deal with the feelings that you're experiencing now. I found that spending time with myself and meditating helped a lot. I still experience quite a bit of anxiety, but it's manageable.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

The hardest part about the hangovers was the anxiety for me. The headaches or nausea were easy in comparison. The mental aspect is what kept driving me to drink because it was so hard to wallow in misery in bed all day on the verge of a panic attack. I would just repeat to myself "this shall pass if I don't drink".
Old 12-11-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm due for my 7th injection this week. Any anxiety and other side effects 'should' resolve themselves. However the Vivitrol in my experience treats the physical synapses in the brain which reduces craving. I have found tremendous relief in the obsession with alcohol. If I had high anxiety I would seek further talk counsel, meetings, whatever manner of recovery meets your needs. I plan to go for 12-18 shots before considering stopping the injections. There is no reason to stop until I 'feel' like I should stop. Other logistics, insurance coverage, $0 co-pay, making arrangements for the injection, etc. are all part of my responsibility. I am very proactive in my recovery and take charge. I've found that I need to do that because of the nature of the medicine these days. I went on a little more than I intended. Best wishes. I think science will look back on the use of Vivitrol as a lifesaver.