Notices

dont knelow if thus would help

Old 12-06-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dont knelow if thus would help

Hey all , im nearly two months sober. I am starting to feel fit again and feel I am heading in the right direction. I am worried about Christmas and being a bore though. I don't want to drink but I feel like taking some codeine pills to help me be around n not feel too awkward. I know this could help me past this sticky phase and then work hard again in my sobriety aftr the new year. I am talking just Christmas day and new years eve. I am not addicted to codeine.
What do you think?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Miko
Congrats on 2 months, but I'm going to give it to you straight as I see it! hope that's ok do not want to offend, I don't recommend you taking codeine to get through being awkward at Christmas whats to stop you taking it the next time a family occasion / celebration is happening?
I understand your not a codeine addict but why would you want to even risk it? i know it's tough not drinking when all around you people are MERRY & BRIGHT with drink but all your doing is replacing alcohol with codeine to not have to deal with any awkward feelings / situations,

I truly do not wish to offend you however as a recovering heroin addict I can tell you now you do not wish to go down this route, please please please think very carefully before you make a decision and be honest with yourself as to your motivation!!

Have a read of posts by startingover444
Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

it may let your defenses down and maybe tell you a drink is okay and then mixing alcohol and codeine is not a good idea; I wouldn't do it. Just make it through the holidays sober, you'll feel better
Old 12-06-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Sorry to be blunt but that idea falls into the major dumb category for more reasons than I can count
Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks i needed this. iv bn toying with this idea. i tjink i must work better at my mindfull ness n hey recovery dont need the slack im just wondering if anyone has done this because i know this is going to be tough.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Its an insane idea, but one I would have had several years ago. What ive learned though is that if I am going to grow up emotianally and spiritually its time to start facing awkward or uncomfortable situations sober. Our comfort zones as alcoholics can be pretty small. The only way to make them bigger is to get out of them.

Congrats on your sober time.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cheers for replies. I do need to find the strength from somewhere. Im not into living by a book in the aa, even though I like the spirituality side of it all.
hope ibcan spark it up inside. Thanks for the comments.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"Sorry to be blunt but that idea falls into the major dumb category for more reasons than I can count"

What MIRecovery meant is "not the smartest idea and healthy choice"
Old 12-06-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
"Sorry to be blunt but that idea falls into the major dumb category for more reasons than I can count"

What MIRecovery meant is "not the smartest idea and healthy choice"
Thanks for being politically correct. Sometimes I just can not help myself. Progress not perfection
Old 12-06-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah no problem. Christmas is difficult, im thinking of the pictures bn took n me not even cracking a smile lol. Maybe im thinking too much about it. Thanks again for your comments.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Some of the reasons it is a bad idea
  • It is illegal
  • It will set you sobriety date to zero
  • It will fuel your addiction and drinking again is a good possibility
  • You could become addicted to Codine
  • You are replacing one mind altering substance with another
  • You are numbing your feelings
  • It will not help only hurt you in the long run
Old 12-06-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Don't do it. You are doing brilliantly on the sober front, you should be so proud of yourself. Getting off codeine is horrible I've heard.
Stick close to SR over Christmas. There will be lots of people in the same position as you.
Stay strong x
Old 12-06-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That would still be feeding the addiction.
As mentioned above, it isnt the wisest idea at all, so good for posting about instead of actually doing it .
(I hope you dont do it)
Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Its 2 days - if you count Christmas day and boxing day.
It's 1 day if you count Christmas day.
Its one evening if you would just be drinking on christmas day evening.
It's 2 evenings if you would be drinking on boxing day evening.

Are your proud of how far you have come so far?
Have you counted your days so far?
Could you right down the numbers of days on your hand. Small numbers and keep looking at it and reminding yourself how far you have come?

Don't bother with the codeine it will just make you want to go to sleep.

Can you give yourself a job to distract yourself from drinking? Could you be chief photographer, in charge of cooking, party games with the kids?

I think you will be fine. You have probably built this up to be bigger in your own mind than it is.

Take care
Xxxx
Old 12-06-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeah Sasha thanks for that. I gotta keep mind on the progress I suppose is good. Thanks for your concerns my was wondering and inside I knew its wrong.
Thanks people, this does help.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miko67 View Post
Yeah Sasha thanks for that. I gotta keep mind on the progress I suppose is good. Thanks for your concerns my MIND was wondering and inside I knew its wrong.
Thanks people, this does help.
ha ha I lost my mind in this.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Check out the substance abuse forum or do a search here for codeine, Miko.
It's definitely not a step up - glad you're reconsidering.

One question tho - why is sobriety boring?
isn't is more boring to be falling about drunk or stoned?

D
Old 12-06-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Dee , I don't mean its boring I mean i just trying to make it socially more bareable to be with drunk people. I dont want to leave early and be on my own at Christmas. I worked outafter i started that thread. I was feeling stressed and now i feel alot better maybe ill go a jog early on Christmas day to help relax me.
I think im romanticizing about the festive spirit and drinking making it all joyful and merry. I've not had a sober Christmas since i was twelve. So it just got to me earlier,jm feeling better and ready to embrace it just now .... Hope it stays like this lol
Peace n thanks
Old 12-06-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I very much empathize and understand your feelings. I feel the same way about the holidays. But I also feel that personally, there are always going to be challenges, no matter what time of the year. If it were the beginning of summer, it would be just as hard to stop, because of the nice weather, parties, going to bars, etc...

I am no expert, but it seems if you use one drug to crutch another, you are asking for the same result.

I have tried quitting alcohol in the past by smoking pot, and inevitably, I end up drinking again. Because in reality I am not quitting the behavior or the need to dull my senses and connect social situations with a substance. It is almost like going on a diet, and then choosing to eat pie instead of cake...

But that is just my thought, I am not judging in any way. Like I said, I worry about the same exact pressures...