Notices

internet addiction

Old 12-06-2012, 04:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

internet addiction

Has anyone found that when they quit drinking their computer/internet use became more reasonable? I am a hopeless internet addict. I could say that I have to be on the internet for the volunteer work I'm doing, but that doesn't account for all the other time I spend on it, checking stuff on Wikipedia, organizing the huge mass of files I've downloaded, etc.

I do have a part time "in person" job now, but as soon as I get home from work and put stuff away, I'm on the internet straight away as surely as a broken clock is correct twice a day.

I can't possibly watch/listen to everything I've downloaded, but it's free, so how is a person who always wants more supposed to resist?

YouTube is completely off the hook. It already knows what I want before I ask... every obscure thing I can imagine, plenty of stuff I never even thought of or was aware of, and stuff that I thought I would have no hope of ever finding.

There's really no need to pay money for entertainment any more. Camping out, waiting in line and paying top dollar to see a film when it opens at the cinema is God's way of telling you you've got too much money.

Good things come to people who wait.

If you don't have a computer and internet access, that's another story.

I know I've said it before, but last time I Googled internet addiction groups, all I could find were meetings online, which kind of defeats the purpose... like betting someone 100 bucks at a Gamblers Anonymous meeting that (s)he can't go a week without gambling.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is funny, online meetings for internet addicts.

I know I spend too much time on the computer that I should otherwise spend being productive with exercise, catching up with stuff around the house and socializing. I think it adds to the isolation that drinking did.

The flip-side is it was a life-saver when I was stuck at home with babies and small children, napping, etc... and gave me a social connection where I lacked it. I have made a couple of real friends through a group connected to one of my kids' issues.

It is about balance. But ya, I spend too much time on the computer. Right now I do not care, if it keeps me from drinking.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by renaldo View Post

I can't possibly watch/listen to everything I've downloaded
I don't know about addiction, but do you think what you've written sounds compulsive and obsessive?

Talk to your doctor and see what he has to say.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

Ha ha renaldo, that gambling joke cracks me up.

Yes I spend too much time online but not as much as I used to. We lost service for 9 days- service interruptus- and that forced me to find other things to do. After a few days of withdrawal I was okay. I prefer having it though as it is a wondrous thing. So now I am on a bit but not in that "lifeline" sense that I had before.