Notices

Again and again

Old 12-05-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Again and again

Life is really hard lately, I can't find a job any where and it is making my sobriety hard. When I home with nothing to do but look for jobs all day and get turned down over and over again it hurts my self esteem and makes me just want to drink. I was doing very well for a while, but Holidays are always really hard for me since my mom passed and it is even harder knowing I can't buy gifts and lots of fam and friends will be drinking. Also my boyfriend and I have not been getting along either, and he lost his job and now he is getting involved with bad people and bad stuff.... He is never home and is always leaving me alone. I find myself lost and depressed. I really just need work and that will fix a lot of things.. maybe I will just leave him and get my own place.
I just feel like I am too young and have too much potential for all this ********.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi fitchface

I'm sorry you find it so difficult to find a job - it's a common problem for a lot of people.

I think drinking makes the whole thing harder tho...I know looking for a job was much much harder for me when I was drinking regularly...I know I was a less impressive applicant then too....even when sober I was missing the 'spark' that sobriety gave me.

Have you thought about volunteering? you help others, it's a great way to spend some time, you feel good, have more self esteem, and it looks good on your CV too

D
Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your dilemma, Fitchface. You are probably best qualified to say if and when it's time to leave your relationship.

Volunteer work has done me a world of good for me and kept something on my resume. If I can deal with this boss for no money when her instructions are very unclear, my confidence is fortified that I can work for a paying boss who is unclear.

I finally did get a temporary part time paying job. I never mentioned that the work I was doing was volunteer and the person interviewing me didn't ask, but I'm sure if I didn't have anything on my resume for a long stretch of time, I would have been asked about that.

It's an old saying, but it's true: "idle hands are the Devil's workshop."

Dee is spot on, as always.

And thank you Dee - for what I assume is volunteer work as a moderator for SR. It's keeping you, me, and a lot of folks from going off the deep end. Been there, done that, but didn't get the T-shirt because I didn't want to advertise it... like the T-shirt "Rehab is for quitters."
Old 12-06-2012, 12:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there,

Wow we could be twins! I read your post with tears in my eyes. I'm
Fairly young still (just turned 30) and have been unemployed for about 6 months. I finally broke down and applied for unemployment and now it has stopped coming in for no reason after only one payment (I was approved but no one seems able to tell me what's happening) and so I'm completely broke. I literally am about to loose everything, in sobriety. I have applied for so many jobs and gone to interviews and nothing ever comes of it. My family is falling apart (separate issue) but the fact that I have no support from them and no money to even buy necessities and it's Christmas... It has just been SO very hard.

My boyfriend and I fight a lot too and most days I apply for jobs but the past week I can barely get out of bed. Like I have just about given up completely. I can't face any
More rejection right now!!! I have ZERO self - esteem.

Anyway, I wish I had the answers. I wish I had positive things to say... I'm
Trying and I still do meetings, gratitude list, exercise, try to pray, work with those in need... I just hit a wall the last few days. All I know is a drink won't fix it. Temporary relief and then... More BS and hurting and feeling awful. More being broke. More isolation. So just stay sober ok? We can do that. You can always PM me too if you like. I will write back.

Big Hugs
- L. (BabyJane)