Notices

Relapses

Old 12-05-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapses

My goal to stop drinking was Sept. 9 but I have had 3 relapses since then. So my new date is now Nov. 24. I still seem to have symptoms of withdrawl when I quit drinking after a relapse. It is not as severe as it was in Sept. but I still crave a ton of sugar and am very tired. Does this happen to anyone else? Is it normal? If I quit in Sept., almost 3 months ago, why am I still having withdrawl symptoms when I only slip up now and then and am not drinking every night?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I believe sugar cravings are normal and quite common when people stop drinking.
And yes, when I have relapsed I have had withdrawal again even though I wasnt drinking everyday anymore. Im not sure why that happens, but it does I guess (I think its called "kindling"). It wasnt as severe for me as it was when I was drinking everyday, but it was still there regardless. It wasnt bad enough for me to go to the hospital again, but I would if it did.
Also remember that too....if withdrawal gets scary dont mess around! Its doctor time. Even if your brain tells you it shouldnt be that bad anymore...everyone is different.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by pattyj View Post
, why am I still having withdrawl symptoms when I only slip up now and then and am not drinking every night?
Do a web search on "kindling" and "withdrawals" and you'll see why. Withdrawals get worse every time go through them, like there is an accumulative effect or something.

My belief is that as the withdrawals get worse, quitting gets harder.

A good reason to stay quit.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
cfm

If I quit in Sept., almost 3 months ago, why am I still having withdrawl symptoms when I only slip up now and then
You did not quit drinking in September. You quit drinking the day after your last drink(which was probably yesterday) the human body turns alcohol into glucose which is what the body runs on. When you infuse the body with massive amount of false glucose and alcohol you become toxic. And it gets worse and worse and worse.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello pattyj:

I got sober and stay sober in the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-05-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

cfm - In my original post, I stated that my new date is now Nov, 24; my last drink was Nov. 23. Please do not assume that I messed up yesterday; that is not helpful. I know that my date is not Sept. I was referring to when I first tried to quit drinking. I just wanted information on withdrawls after relapses.

Thank you to windancer and doggonecarl for the info. I researched kindling and found great information.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Relapses are ok I think because we get to learn from them. We learn what our triggers are so we avoid them next time. Don't matter much to me also How many exact days I have, I'm just happy to be sober. All the best!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow...I just googled alcohol withdrawal and kindling, and I think that might the scariest piece of news I've gotten in a while. Good question, Patty.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Patty, I found the same thing. I also think it's a cumulative effect, and I found the emotional toll affected me, too. Congratulations on your sober time! Good for you!
Old 12-05-2012, 10:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Patty,

Good for you for coming right back here after a slip. I stopped for good in October. I tried many times before and my relapses were not really relapses because I never stopped long enough.

I need to google kindling, I have seen that on here a few times today.

Glad you are back!