Notices

Are Anxiety & mood swings part of it & how long?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are Anxiety & mood swings part of it & how long?

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I'm 28 & have been an alcoholic for 5 years (a whole bottle of wine +beer+shots every night). In the last two yrs I have slowed down dramatically & have tried to quit 5 times w/the longest time being 4 weeks before I relapsed. This time I'm 10 days sober & Im in a position where sobriety is much easier this time (I have ambien at night, dumped my alcoholic friends (who don't want help), & my new Dr told me to stop drinking cause my liver enzymes are too high- this scared me! (this week I get an ultrasound on my liver which will probably have fat on it or worse. My question is, when do you know if anxiety etc. is just part of withdrawal or you need to be on medication? Does anyone have experience of taking meds to help sobriety? My anxiety starts at night when I would start drinking. & during the day I'm very short tempered & moody. Ive started jogging which helps but the night anxiety is so bad I feel like my skeleton is going to jump out of my skin! Any advise?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it goes slowly with time, though many here will tell ye to see a doc. They're better at giving you advice on how to help it.
I find exersice and good foods help me but for the last couple of days I've been angry at alot of stuff too. Im nearly two months!
Peace
Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have panic disorder so it's hard. My therapist said its hard to decipher if I drank because I was anxious or anxious because i drank. I'm on medication and it helps alot so it's kind of your call. My anxiety lessened dramatically within 2 weeks or so. I know I'm not a big help but I promise it gets easier. Oh and the mood swings will be better in a couple weeks as well. Good luck and congrats on your over a week sober!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I guess only time will tell. I didn't have anxiety before my drinking days. It only started when I became a heavy drinker. So hopefully I'll feel better soon, I really don't like the idea of taking meds.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For a lot of people that is the deal. After being sober awhile I did not need all the medicine but as for any medicine we cannot give out that advice. Stay sober and things in general will get better, especially your mental and physical health.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR betterthanbefor

I'm sure if you have an honest chat with your doctor they will be able to assess what is best for you. I know that I had a lot of mood swings and was extremely irritable early on but my anxiety wasn't too bad, not like it was when I was drinking anyway. But it took months to feel more calm. I think if I had my time over I may have taken some of those meds I was offered to help with the transition. I hope you feel better soon x
Old 12-05-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Anxiety was very high for me at first because I have Panic/Anxiety disorders. But it is common for withdrawal symptom to begin with. I found that it was the worst the first few days, then starts to get better and better each day. Past the first week or two, with the help of brief medication, I was OK.

As far as medication, I won't give any medical advice, and I am no doctor. In MY experience I was given benzos for a short term to help through tremors, anxiety, insomnia etc. It was greatly beneficial and may have even saved my life...bc withdrawal can be nasty and dangerous. Talk to your doctor regarding these matters.

I'm past 30 days in and mood swings are still happening but are lessening in frequency. Today was a moody day for me.

It takes time. But things do get better. The body and brain have no option but to readjust back to normal.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
DAB

I take valerian root at night to help me sleep.