Notices

Insomnia? No I just can't sleep.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insomnia? No I just can't sleep.

Someone asked me recently, "why did you stop drinking?" Now by "someone" of course I mean no one as nobody really knows I stopped. Hell at this point I'm not sure a lot of people ever even knew I drank to begin with. However had someone asked me this question my response would be quite simple. I ran out of money. November 24th of this year I ran out of money. Prior to this I spent years fearing what would happen if I stopped. Countless hours of "research" about delirium tremens, wet brain, anxiety, stroke, coma etc. I would die if I stopped. I was completely convinced of it. Graduating from roughly 12-15 beers a night to about 4 bottles of wine per night over the past several years I knew where I was going and couldn't get there quick enough. Jokes on me i guess as that little plan didn't seem to pan out. Funny thing about the human brain I'm finding is that it's rather adaptable. Even under extreme change it's pretty impressive. I even have a little wine left in a bottle as well as some frozen bag of pina colada in my freezer. What's the point? That's not going to do the trick. I guess what I am learning is that not only is there no point to drinking a half a glass of white wine that someone left in my fridge but really there isn't a point to selling anything I have to go and buy 4 bottles as that solves the problem for one night and one night only. Now by "solve" of course I mean the problem comes back ten fold in the morning or a half an hour after I pass out but you get my point. Of course I miss the days when one would drink to celebrate or socialize etc. but sadly those days may be over. Sure life can be an open faced crap sandwich covered in crap gravy but I guess we all just need to figure out how to eat it without 4 bottles of red wine.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Scott6433, I like what you said about drinking only "solving" the problem for one night..but of course as you point out there are other problems that start again within an hour of waking up. I woke up today with no nausea, no pounding headache, no anxiety, and no regrets, and I'm thankful for that. Hang in there, buddy.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Totally get it! Once you get the futility of it, it actually becomes offensive to yourself. That is.kind of where I got the bug to quit. For us middle aged folks, it's like the movie war games. There can't be a winner in Tic Tac Toe. There can't be a winner with alcohol for us.