Notices

Beware of the sweet old ladies

Old 12-04-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beware of the sweet old ladies

I spent part of the day delivering Christmas cards and shell ornaments I made to my neighbors and the folks at the office.

One of my stops (about an hour ago) was the gal next door and the other neighbor visiting. "Perfect!" I'll drop them both at the same time. Well, they got to gabbin and gabbin as nice old ladies do then <insert name> says, "This calls for Happy Hour!"

She offers me some wine while opening the door as I see her entire top shelf stocked with various wine. "Oh, thanks but I have to get home since I have dinner in the oven". End of conversation while she proceeds with pouring two glasses.

They kept carrying on and on while I'm inching my way to the door in hopes of a quick escape during a pause in the conversation. No such luck! I was offered wine AGAIN! While watching them sipping their glasses I said that I had to get back and check dinner.

FINALLY I was able to get a firm grasp on the handle of the door and make a polite and humble departure as they thanked me for the lovely gifts.

Really close call and the homemade din din was awesome!
Old 12-04-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done for not even entertaining the idea. That's a huge plus.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, alcohol pops up in places that we least expect it - especially this time of the year. Well done!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job! It's hard to do sometimes, but you did it
Old 12-04-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I felt bad for one of them since she said that she doesn't cook and I have lotsa leftovers. I'll have to wait until tomorrow am to take her some scalloped potatoes and ham. That would be a safe bet Happy Hour would not be in full force.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Very good job! I used to be the one always offering drinks. I never could understand how someone would turn one down. And if they did, I would make sure to offer it to them, again, always making sure I was a very good hostess. Now that I think of it, I can see how someone would think I was downright pushy about it because, well, I was!

I have a whole new perspective now.

Keep up the good work.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well Done Cat! Well Done! You and I are on the same day and I am pretty sure I would not have been at strong as you. If I am in that situation now I am going to draw on this experience of yours.

AND - you make shell ornaments - how cool.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nicely done, you did a good deed and resisted alcohol. Gold star night for you!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome to hear cat, mmm ham & scalloped, comfort food
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For a split second I thought "mmmm, wine!" Then my inner voice said WTF are you thinking!!!!

Just last Sunday we were all together whoopin it up with a cook out and a table full of booze and wine. I didn't want to appear as a lush so I chugged four beers beforehand just to get a buzz-on then continued to drink wine with the gals. Oh, and the festivities started at noon. Geeez, I'm glad those days are gone.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Double awesome that this all went down next door, and you are here telling us the tale of your Day 4 & looking forward to Day 5 instead of having a glass or two with the neighbours during the 'season'.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It it hard. I know a few people in my complex that I help out that will invite me for a drink. I just tell them I am allergic which is true
Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I always use the old "I'm on antibiotics" thing if I want to avoid a lengthy question and answer session. I'm all for honesty but sometimes I just need a quick excuse and get out of there... Good for you!