Notices

drunk, right now, unexpectedly

Old 12-03-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

drunk, right now, unexpectedly

So. Tonight I was all set to be sober because it is Monday after all. I taught my classes and was feeling good, but then I got this real strong urge to buy and drink beer, which I did in the middle of a conversation with my wife. When I got back she began to tell me how my mother had called her earlier in the day saying she was "concerned" about me. The reason that my mother was concerned was because I had called her really ****** up a few days ago. But my mother has been concerned about me for as long as I can remember, and my wife's family is full of drunks.

That being said, I really do want to stop, or slow down, my drinking. I was caught off guard by my wife and mother's concern. I always tend to think that my own concern about myself is much more accurate than theirs.

Anyway, I'm looking for strategies for getting through the first week without drinking. My wife smokes pot regularly, and then is much more accepting of my drinking.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi and welcome to SR best strategy is to decide to quit and then look for support. Here is very good and of course there is cousenelling here are few recovery paths:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

Kevin
Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh. I can reply to myself. Wonderful.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Slug - welcome

I think you have to decide first whether you want to stop or you want to slow down.

I wanted to simply slow down too but I finally accepted that was untenable for me.
I had no off switch once I started, let alone a slow down switch.
Fear was a big one for me too - having people concerned about me freaked me out and made me feel like running away.

If you decide you want to stop there's a lot of really great support here - it really made a difference to me.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 12-04-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you really do want to stop, then stop.

Once you've decided not to have that first drink ever again, recovery begins.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by slugjuice View Post
So. Tonight I was all set to be sober because it is Monday after all. I taught my classes and was feeling good, but then I got this real strong urge to buy and drink beer, which I did in the middle of a conversation with my wife. When I got back she began to tell me how my mother had called her earlier in the day saying she was "concerned" about me. The reason that my mother was concerned was because I had called her really ****** up a few days ago. But my mother has been concerned about me for as long as I can remember, and my wife's family is full of drunks.

That being said, I really do want to stop, or slow down, my drinking. I was caught off guard by my wife and mother's concern. I always tend to think that my own concern about myself is much more accurate than theirs.

Anyway, I'm looking for strategies for getting through the first week without drinking. My wife smokes pot regularly, and then is much more accepting of my drinking.
Reading the highlights it would seem that you have made a most excellent decision to join us here at SR. The first step is in realizing the issues, and making a plan to not pick up. I lost all communication with my mother after numerous calls to her while I was drunk. I was sober almost 6 months before she would take calls from me again. I lost the respect of my kids, which I am working hard at every day to reestablish. For the first time in 12 years, I celebrated my birthday on Sunday with my kids, not bottles of wine.

You can do this. We will support and encourage you in every way imaginable. Make a plan, don't drink for today, and keep your side of the street clean. Don't make excuses. Don't worry about how others behave. Just concentrate on YOU. Welcome and all the best on your new journey - I'm rooting for you!! Hugs, NBC
Old 12-04-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. "drunk, right now, unexpectedly"

Not sure what to say about this without repeating what your already know deep inside.
Glad you found us!