Notices

Recovery in a relationship

Old 12-03-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery in a relationship

I posted this in a different section but thought I might get more responses and sugesstions from the newcomers section.

I am 29 years old and have with my boyfriend for 6 years. We are choosing not to get married because he pays child support for 2 children. He has been ready to get married from day one but I do not want him to have to pay more child support because our finances would be one. Not a problem for us.

I have been an alcoholic for many years. My boyfriend and I were drinking buddies for a long time. There came a time where my drinking started to get out of hand. I became an angry, mean, and emotional person with alcohol. I decided to quit drinking for myself and my boyfriend has been very encouraging. I thought that it would be very sad to lose that closeness of being drinking buddies but it turns out that we work well together with me being sober.

I decided to quit drinking on 09-09-12. I have relapsed 3 times since then. The last one was 10 days ago due to a family member pressuring me to drink. My boyfriend actually got very upset with her for pressuring me but it got the best of me and I decided to drink to get her off my back. I am extremely p***** that she got the best of me and will no longer put myself in that situation. I had just had 30 days under my belt, the longest in my 15 year drinking career. That's my story...

Anyways, my boyfriend, on the other hand, still drinks. He never gets wasted or black out drunk. He has a few beers and gets happy/giddy. I wish I could do that but it has never worked for me so I am determined to stay sober. Is it weird that my boyfriend still drinks and I am in recovery?

Being around drunk people never bothers me. The first two relapses were because I planned to get drunk and the third one was because of a family member's pressure. I have been to dinners and bars, around alcohol, and have had no need to drink. I am actually pretty content with being sober... I hope that doesn't change.

I guess I have mixed feelings about my boyfriend drinking. I don't know if I don't want him to drink anymore because I had to quit or if I am jealous that he can drink and control himself. I go back and forth on this all the time. I have never asked him to quit with me nor would I.

Anyone having this same experience?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome and hello

Anytime I relapsed , it was only because I SLIP- Sobriety Lost its Priority..

And I let meetings slide, stopped meditating , and doing all the things that Keep ME sober..

Nobody else can make me drink or would ever be respsonisble for it either.. Rigorous Honesty I have to own it..

So glad your with us. You found a great site. Keep reading and posting.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have to be honest at least with me i CANNOT be around anyone else drinking or it is absolutely 100% gonna make me want to drink. I think for a successfully sobriety you cannot have it in your house. I truthfully have to say its unfair for him to drink in front of you if he truly knows and understands that your an alcoholic and knows what that means and how hard it is for people like us. I too am just now trying to quit after about 12 years of straight drinking and also recently had a relapse that I'm not proud of either. You need all the support you can get and having it around and watching your boyfriend drink in front of you is only going to lead to problems in my experience.