Notices

Powerlessness has me paranoid

Old 12-03-2012, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Powerlessness has me paranoid

Hello everyone. I just found this website. I have been sober from opiates for five months. I was on methadone for two years. Very hard to get off of. Lately I have been thinking of drugs. Not wanting to do them. Just thinking about them a lot. This makes me paranoid. I don't eventually want to go back to it, but in my rehab I was taught I was powerless over this thing and if I don't do the steps. I will relapse. This scares me and in a weird way makes me think about it even more. I tried smart but can't find a meeting and cbt has never really been good for me. I wish I could find a meeting about sobriety without all the other stuff.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Grizzly. I posted on the exact subject yesterday.

Some pretty inputs have been made by some friends here on SR.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...less-stop.html
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good questions to be asking.

If you went to a meeting without all that other stuff.... What might happen at one of these meeting.

I am not an AAer but know it can be useful for many.

I don't want to inspire a discussion about methods. I just simply want to drill into what will help you from your perspective, what needs do you feel are unsupported in the methods you have discovered so far?

If there are a million people then there are a million and one ways to stay sober.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are doing great and there is no need to believe you will relapse as long as you are working on your recovery. That doesn't need to mean doing the steps, but for me it means working on myself every day. Is it possible that one-on-one therapy might help you? Whatever you do, please know that there is support here at SR.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grizzly84 View Post
I wish I could find a meeting about sobriety without all the other stuff.
True sobriety IS all that other stuff.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-03-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Unfortunately without the "Other Stuff" I could not have stopped drinking and drugging. I had to give up fighting and for once in my life listen to other people who seemed to be happy and sober. Even I could figure out they must be doing something I was not
Old 12-03-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have pondered this a lot myself. I cannot say how it works for anyone else but for me I am powerless to control my drinking after the first drink. I do have the power to not take that first one.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I am not powerless over my first drink at all, in fact I have ultimate control over it to the point that it will never happen. It is up to you whether you choose to subscribe to that doctrine, Grizzly. You can choose to be sober from opiates, no matter what else happens - no conditions necessary.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grizzly84 View Post
I tried smart but can't find a meeting and cbt has never really been good for me. I wish I could find a meeting about sobriety without all the other stuff.
Well that's two things ticked of the list... what's next? Have you looked into counselling? AVRT? There are some good outpatient programs available in some areas which are not 12 step based. Maybe just hang around here to help others get clean too. I use a bit of a mishmash of lots of different methods to help me. With AA I know it pushes me out of my comfort zone big time, which is good for me. But there were some aspects in AVRT which worked much better for me. Make your own recovery x
Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Granddaughters I respectfully disagree. I wasn't saying "that other stuff" In a condescending way. I was just expressing I am not comfortable with it. So are you saying that other stuff is the only way to true sobriety. If so I definitely don't agree with you. Everyone is different an there are many out there who would consider their sobriety true. That's great it worked for you though. 24 years is a wonderful accomplishment. Take care
Old 12-03-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

rational recovery

AVRT

SMART

Life Ring

Women for Sobriety

do a search, it's all online!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Grizzly

Maybe AVRT would be useful to you to look into...it's not about powerlessness at all.

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit that or some other non 12 step approach

D
Old 12-03-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 5 months.
it's very enpowering to remain sober and take control of your life.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
True sobriety IS all that other stuff.

All the best.

Bob R

You know, when people make up their own definitions of words it is very difficult to have rational discussions.

Million of people are SOBER without AA. Perhaps you are destined to be one of them as well.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Grizzly,

SMART has several online meetings every day.

I know, I know, you want to go to face to face meetings, I get that...but if you want a structured program, you don't have F2F SMART in your area, and you don't like AA...you really might benefit from giving those online meetings a try.

By the way, I'm not suggesting that SMART is the only way to "true" sobriety, in fact I'm quite sure based on my own experiences that there is no such thing as an "only way"!
Old 12-03-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

True sobriety is whatever method works best for the individual.

Grizzley, there is a lot of good support here on the forums, welcome.