Does recovery/rehab ever become part of the addiction cycle

Old 12-03-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does recovery/rehab ever become part of the addiction cycle

Just wondering as we started noticing a trend with our son after his latest pot,xanax,oxy binge. We draw the line, he gets sober/clean, stays clean for a week or two, uses a few days, comes clean with us, asks for help, gets sober/clean, rinse and repeat.

He's still hanging out w/ the same crowd, still doing the trigger activities, not working the program, still complains how nothing is his fault (still his mom's fault for ruining his life because of a divorce), etc. We are working with a counselor to get some professional help, but also wanted to get some informal opinions/experiences.

It's gotten to the point that at 18, we are strongly considering kicking him out at his first relapse (even for pot) as we both feel like we are prisoners in our own home and don't trust him with any of our stuff.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Originally Posted by Kaim View Post

He's still hanging out w/ the same crowd, still doing the trigger activities, not working the program, still complains how nothing is his fault (still his mom's fault for ruining his life because of a divorce), etc. We are working with a counselor to get some professional help, but also wanted to get some informal opinions/experiences.

And as long as he's still hanging around on the same playground with the same playmates he is going to continue to use.. He can go to 12 step meetings all day long but if he doesn't work the program it's not going to work period...

I've just spent the last 5 years going through this same thing with my AH... Look at your actions and ask yourself how you are enabling his addiction, set some boundaries and get yourselves a strong support system through meetings and posting on this board... It will go a long way in helping you with the addict in your life...
Old 12-03-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Doesn't sound like he ready to stop. You are smart to protect your property and set boundaries.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have gone though the same thing for so many years with my son. He is much older and still can find the one drug user in every place he goes.

When my son was about your son's age I tried one more time to get him into treatment. He was not at home when I went to pick him up to take him to the rehab - he showed up at rehab drunk. They turned him away because they said he wasn't ready.

My son is now 34 and lives in a differnt state - he is refusing to speak to me because I will not give him money.

I hope yours is a success story - but the one thing I can tell you is you can not do anything to help them until they are ready to help themselves. It is such a painful thing for parents to watch our children waste their lives. Mine is gifted and at the moment may be homeless. Very sad!

Mine stole everything he could get his hands on! It is what addicts do!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

What he is doing is called:

"Manipulation Quacking"

And it will continue until you and hubby decide that 'enough is enough' and do not
allow him back into your home, until his ACTIONS show that he is actually in re-
covery, working a program and as part of that program is working, is paying his
bills, is making amends on his 'wreckage of his past' etc

There is nothing wrong with saying NO MORE. Heck my parents didn't do that for
me until I was 33 1/2 years old, and when they finally said it, they meant it. NO
MORE CONTACT AT ALL. If I called they hung up, if I came to the door it was shut
in my face, and if I had ever tried again to steal from them they would have called
the police immediately.

It still took me another 2 1/2 years to find recovery and the last 1 1/2 years I lived
on the streets of Hollyweird.

It was only after I had been sober for a few years that I could talk about this with my
Mom, and she explained to me that had she and Dad and the rest of the family not
done that, that all of them were headed for toward being locked up in straight
jackets in a padded cell. I was literally (my actions) driving them insane.

I in turn told her with love and sincerity that:

I thanked them with all my heart, that it was the BEST THING
they had ever done for me!

I meant it, they saved my life!! It did take until I was almost 3 years sober before I
was starting to feel like I was earning back their 'trust.' And I understood that, with
my sober and clean mind, I knew that if I had been in their shoes, I would have done
the 'exact' same thing. And over the years I have had to do the 'exact' same thing
to several A's in my family and to some sponsees that I had really grown very fond
of.

I have talked with many over the years, and one thing I have noticed is that those
that have had the same thing happen to them, with NC with their family and/or
parents, that when they finally did find recovery, they seemed to STAY in recovery
and they too thank their families for doing what was needed for the family members,
and letting the addict find their way on their own.

I applaud you for:

"It's gotten to the point that at 18, we are strongly considering kicking him out
at his first relapse (even for pot) as we both feel like we are prisoners in our
own home and don't trust him with any of our stuff. "

Remember we are here for you, and we are all walking with you in spirit.

love and hugs,