Notices

Just a little introduction

Old 12-03-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a little introduction

Hi all,

I'm a 27 year old male. I've been drinking since I was 16 and the amount I drink has steadily increased. I now drink more than anyone I know.

I'm from Ireland, so drinking was always culturally accepted and all my friends were fairly heavy drinkers. I now live in Korea where drink is just as acceptable, but MUCH cheaper.

I live alone here, I make good money and two bottles of Korean rice wine costs the equivalent of 3 dollars. Drink is also available 24 hours a day in every convience store.

I live alone, I always drank too much before, now I have 24 hour access to almost free drink.

The reason I'm seriously considering stopping completly is because I have always had knee problems and they are becoming unbearable. The pain is just too much to walk now and I'm pretty sure drinking almost every day is effecting them. I would never forgive myself if I did some irreversible damage at age 27, so I want to take control now.

I'm not prepared to stop completly just yet. I'm not mentally there. I will, however, wait for the right time (soon) and try my best. I know I can quit things, as I quit cocaine years ago and I quit cigarettes a few months ago and I know I will never go near those substances again.

Anyway, that's me guys. I hope I can talk with yous, help yous and use some of your stories to give me a little push in the right direction when I do decide I'm ready to stop completly.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

I'm sure you'll find much information and experience here that will convince you that quitting soon is a good idea
Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome DR to SR!

With being such a heavy drinker, it's tough to wean off or shall we say nearly impossible (such as my case). You really need to focus on what the drinking is doing to your knee. I have no clue how that is associated but do you have a medical practitioner to see? He/she could clearly diagnose that condition and get you on the right track.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Goodness you are so young. I hope you quit soon and don't keep it up another decade or two like me. If its a problem now it only gets worse. Good luck
Old 12-03-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello DonkeyRhubarb,
Wow,free booze 24 hrs a day sounds like a blessing and a curse.
I know for myself that I had a really bad stomach for most of my 20's,if I was to fart in the same room as someone the smell was so bad that people would get mad,not laugh.
I have struggled with quitting drinking completly,but have had some good periods of complete abstinense.
My stomach has been great the last few years and I know its because I am not drinking.(I have recently relapsed).
I dont know what booze does to ones knees but I am sure it would help if you took some time off the booze.

Good on you for living in Korea,I have always wanted to live/work in a foreign country but have never had the guts to do it.
Asian women are also quite beautiful.

Take care.....
Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck to you. Can't tell you to quit or not, only you can decide when you are ready. Keep reading and posting here. I think you will find a lot in common with people here, well besides the Ireland to Korea thing!!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

The best push I can give you is...it never gets better, just far far worse.
The sooner you can decide to quit, the better.

I should have quit at 27...but the years blur into each other and tomorrow never comes...

I quit eventually at 40, and I was lucky to be alive, then.

This is a game for keeps, DR.

D
Old 12-03-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I hope you don't wait too long to be 'ready' to quit. I'd be afraid of what could happen before you are ready.

I quit three years ago and don't miss it one bit.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! All's been said by my fellow friends. Much to think about
Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome DonkeyRubarb -

You took a step today by posting. It was finding this forum that made me stop procrastinating about my drinking. I hope you don't put it off too long. I only found it harder to stop the longer I kept drinking.

Lots of hope and inspiration here - Keep reading and posting!