Notices

Shakes

Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shakes

Hi,

Wondering how long the alcoholic shakes lasts after having been drinking 8-14 lager per day (0,5 cl) 4.7 %.

Have stopped now for 4 days or so and have terrible shakes. Like - I´m struggling to hold the fork steadily enough to eat.

Been drinking like this on/off for the last year and a half. Before that I used to drink like that during the weekends, then go to work on Monday again.

Now I can have periods where I was drinking heavily for up to 3 weeks, then stopping for up to 6 weeks, but most of the time, 2.

Can I expect these shakes for weeks/months. Can I have screwed up my complete nerve system? Scared now that Im coming off.

Btw - going to my first AA meeting on this coming Friday.Scared of that too - but realize Im an alcoholic now and need help before I loose my good job.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

AA saved my life. There must be many AA meetings in Oslo. get to all the meetings you can.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 12-02-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

hi JSean and welcome to SR. my shakes would often last for up to a week after i stopped drinking. i was a pretty heavy vodka drinker. i would strongly recommend that you go see a doctor ASAP. alcohol withdrawal can be deadly. there's no shame in seeing a doctor. my doctor was quite happy for me and really helped me out. i went through withdrawals on my own several times and have experienced a couple of seizures. it's scary and i'm glad to be alive. a doctor visit is the best way to go. congrats on choosing to quit! i'm nearly 9 months sober and i'm really happier now that i ever have been in my life. i hope you find it so for you as well.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again

Hate to sound like a broken record...but again - the best thing to do is see a Dr.
Make an appointment and set your mind to rest

D
Old 12-02-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

All depends on the individual.. Everyone is different and different damage..

For me I always will shake sometimes due to the nerve damage my drinking caused. It really has gotten better over months but comes up out of no where. Doctor said it is just what happened to me..

but even when it happens now, its nothing like how I lived for years. I couldnt even eat , let alone write.. It was pathetic.. Its a good reminder for this alcoholic..

Glad to see your quitting,good stuff to come your way now..
Old 12-02-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR JSean!

The shakes are a wicked thing as well as the other physical and mental ailments associated with detoxing. As others have said, it's serious business and you should seek medical help.

Everyone's body is different and it's beyond me why I bounce back after a couple of days but very thankful.

Glad you're hitting an AA meeting and taking the right steps to give up the booze. It's a whole different world out there with your body and mind back on earth.

Good luck and keep us posted!!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do You Believe

I had the shakes when over exerting myself, or trying to use fine motor skills such as while writing. Bringing a fork or trying to hold something steady while bringing it to my mouth was a bit difficult. It definately started to subside after about a week but progressed for a little more than two. I still feel a bit shakey after a month, but it comes and goes and is not near as bad. I hardly notice it. When I do I have to breath deeply and not obsess over it.

I drank a fair bit, but at the end I would sometimes have benders that would go for 2-3 days. No blackouts just sustained drinking. In the end my writing was so bad, I avoided it all costs. When I had to, I would panic. What a mess I was.

It gets much better. Hang in there.