Notices

Trying once again.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying once again.

Hello all.
I am newly sober once again.
I have been trying to live the clean and sober lifestyle for quite some time now.
I have no problems with the programs or the people,I usually get complacent after a few months and start talking with old friends...
Eventually,I usually start with smoking pot,daily,with that my prayers stop and then my meetings dwindle down to once or twice a week,going to meetings stonned is something I have done alot of and its pretty childish and stupid.
I can sometimes go months smoking pot and not drinking but eventuallly I drink.
Drinking for me is never planned and I usually drink alone.
Drinking also leads me to smokking crack(horrible),drinking and driving,not making it to work and just feeling bad.
I recently lost my job of 3 years,I understand my boss could not rely on me and have givin me pleanty of chances.

Internet dating seems to be a pretty big trigger for me,even though I have met some great women from the site I think I should stay away from the sites for a while.

I have no sponsor or homegroup but do know some people in recovery in my area.

Going to 2 meetings a day right now seeing as I have the time.

I hope to get some good advice from this site and to get some smiles also.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I gave up pot and alcohol. it can be done.

glad you are here!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Aaron

Posting and reading here really helped me break that slip back cycle.
I hope we can do the same for you too

D
Old 12-02-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AAaaron mate, give yourself some credit please! You are aware of your issues and you are trying to do something about it. I have been in a similar position to you for a while now but been too scared to try to do anything about it. It was today after nearing choking to death on my own vomit that I decided enough is enough. I may relapse but that's not going to stop me. Personally I will not be looking at it as "back to square one" because you are not, this is a journey we're all on and this is not failure, it's part of it.

If it was that easy to give up then we wouldn't be talking!

I wish you all the best!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Aaron I'm starting again today too mate. I'm that hung over and depressed today. I am drinking orange juice and pushing negative thoughts out of my head.im craving alcohol so bad today to feel better. I know it's not the answer. I'm going to just keep trying till I get it right. I'm ring up for an AA meeting today. I feel like crawling under a rock ATM. But reading these comments makes me realise I'm not alone.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to a great place, AAaaron.

I also did out-of-character things when drunk. It turned me into a person I didn't even recognize. I had to stop for my own safety and sanity. It was no longer fun in any way - and had become dangerous.

I hope you'll find this place as helpful and encouraging as I did. I never felt alone again after I joined here.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Aaaron,

Everyone here understands. You can speak your mind.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...It's all about changing...People, places and things...You know where the problems are...It's time to change them. The only advice I can give you is what worked for me....Get a sponsor...Get a homegroup...Get with the people working the program...And get busy. Glad you are here.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome AAaaron!

It's a tough road in the beginning of sobriety as I'm wrapping up Day 2 but already feel positive going forward.

I'm sorry about your job loss as I just recently was terminated with an online contract last Thursday. It's quite devastating, I know, but we have to pick ourselves up and move on without the hindrance of alcohol or drugs.

Again, we share another common denominator with smoking crack (which thankfully I haven't done in many many years). Nonetheless, that will lead to nothing but destruction. Yep, I was there.

Internet dating? *raises hand* My dates consisted of seeing how hammered we could get then have meaningless sex. Yea, another good move on my part.

Regardless, I'm glad you're seeking meetings and hope you can get with a good group of people that don't all those naughty things we wish we never did.

Good luck and stick with it! Glad you're hear!!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome AAaaron -

Glad you're getting sober again. It's been a real comfort to me knowing I can come here whenever I want and there are people here who understand. This place will be a great adjunct to your meetings.

Stay strong and know that things will get better.....
Old 12-02-2012, 11:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I tried to do the pot thing for a while. It worked - for a short time, then I was back to smoking heroin off tinfoil because smoking drugs is smoking drugs right? Ha.

All I'm saying is I relate. I too went to meetings high. My justification was, "well I have quit drinking for five years now and this is AA so it's about alcohol not the other stuff and it's nobody's business."

Except I knew that I wasn't really sober and I knew I was only really hurting myself you know what I mean? I guess, for me (and you maybe) we need to stay away from all of it because I can get pretty addicted to anything! Quit alcohol and a year later was on to pills and other opiates and eventually did the one drug I said I'd NEVER do. 4 years later I'm sto battling that monster. Today I have 1 week.

We can do this. Get back to those meetings and start working hard at it. You'll do it. I also am *unemployed* so we have lots of free time don't we?

Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the kind words.
I went to a great meeting last night and then out for dinner with some people from the meeting.
That is something I need to do,hang out with sober people outside of the meetings.
Im on day 11 now,going to 2 meetings a day.
I am heading to Mexico in a few weeks and hear they have good meetings down there.
Any advice on travelling to Peurto Vallarta?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

January 18-20 Sobriety Under the Sun Home Page - AA Convention - Roundup in Puerto Vallarta

How are you getting there? Cruise ships often have a Friends of Bill W. meeting on them.

Puerto Vallarta Mexico: Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)

Locations for Vallarta 12 Step Groups

Be careful, there is a club or bar called AA which isn't AA at all!!!!!

Suggestions for sober traveling in Mexico

e-AA Group : Alcoholics Anonymous

Nuevo Vallarta Alcoholics Anonymous :: PVAngels, Charity & Community United

AA Meetings in Mexico

Time for some light reading!

Have a fabulous sober time there!!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Aaron. If you are going to try AA then do as Sapling said and do it fully. Get a sponsor and do the steps in earnest.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey,still clean and sober....
Old 12-12-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good....If you like what you are getting ....Keep doing what you're doing. Don't pick up and do the next right thing.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

keep it going AAaaron - great news

D
Old 12-23-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

1 month today!
In Mexico,have been to a few meetings here,people are very friendly.

Beer,and other things are everywhere here but for today I dont want them and I know Ill wind up broke,beaten up or in jail.

Going to the beach to read and swim.....
Old 12-23-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on your month

D
Old 06-06-2013, 11:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

196 days for me!
Thanks a lot to this forum for helping out...