Notices

I lasted a week :(

Old 12-02-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I lasted a week :(

Well I was driving to a job yesterday as I work for myself. I craved a drink. Just a couple I said to myself I can handle it.i drank 10 drinks ended up at pub. Drove home. Drank till I passed out. Woke up devistated I feel weak and lost. My wife is supporting me today. Why is this so hard
Old 12-02-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel ashamed. This is the first time in my life I realise I'm an alcoholic
Old 12-02-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's really hard to change our lives - a lot of us faltered a time or two benji.

Try thinking of it as a hurdle race - you may knock over a hurdle or two but the race continues on....

What you need to do is work out what to do about those 'I can handle it' thoughts...

what do you need to add now ?

do you need more support?
do you need to make more changes to your life?

Something else?

ps I moved your thread to the right forum

D
Old 12-02-2012, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR benji!!

You will find a lot of support here since we are (or have) gone through the struggles with alcoholism. I can relate to the never ending drinks since this last week I've been on a week long bender. I finally put my foot (and beers) down and decided the drinking must come to an end or I will become totally worthless. (more worthless than I have been) It's no walk in the park the first couple of days and some require medical assistance, but I've made it to day two and feel emotionally better already.

As Dee states, you need to decide what help you need. This is a great place for starters to get you on track. The most important step for you is to give up the alcohol immediately so you can get your life back on track.

Trust me, life is a whole different world out there when there's no booze involved.

Good luck!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dee has great advice, and you will continue to find this on SR. Sounds like your wife is very supportive, that is wonderful. You didn't lose those sober days, and you got right back on here.

I know it isn't easy, but you can do this!
Old 12-02-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Thanks for the post, Aussie. I have done that, too! It's almost like an out of body experience. I would consciously know what I was doing, and consciously know that I didn't have to do it, then I would do it anyway. Because if I didn't stop myself that would mean I couldn't get drunk.

I really didn't have any tools in place to prevent this from happening, though. My physical, emotional, and most importantly spiritual bank all read zero. I had to make a decision to go the other way and stop the insanity. Because what I was doing really was insane. I always would think "this time would be different," or "I won't let things get out of control." Seems those nights I made those declarations (which was almost every night) things got crazy out of control more quickly than I can imagine. I even remember sitting in the back of a squad car thinking "Wow, this REALLY spun out of control before I even knew what was happening. Just an hour ago I was laughing with the guy at the liquor store." Just laughed at myself there because the liquor store guy was one of my only friends at the time.

I'll get cliche here and say if I can do this, anyone can. I was determined to never stop drinking and find a way that would work. I was going to be the one to figure out, because I am ME. It didn't matter that millions had tried and failed before me. I was going to be the one. Sounds pretty crazy, right?

Choosing recovery was an easy option. I was no longer willing to accept the consequences booze and drugs were throwing at me. I was sick of it. But, more importantly, I had to take action to stop them. I had tried on my own many times before to stop, but I was unable to. I needed people, like those you will find on here, to help me. They offered suggestions and I decided to give it a try. What did I really have to lose? They seemed to be successful at it and therefore knew more about it than I did.

Plain and simple; My way didn't work, and it was time to try it someone else' way (who had tackled this issue).

Hope you keep coming back.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It has taken me several tries as well and this time is sticking so far knock on wood. I found the right combination of things for me in antidepressants, meetings, and being honest about where Im at. I too with 29 days sober just have started in the last few days to truly understand I'm an alcoholic and I can't drink like everyone else and I'm grieving the loss of my old destructive buddy alcohol. It's getting better and I'm living one day at a time.

Surrender is going over to the winning side, it isn't weakness. My sponsor told me that and it has helped me with acceptance of myself and where I'm at.

Hang in there you will find your path
Old 12-02-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Aussie we have all tried to give up and have failed at various times. We have just got to try again (and again and again in my case) until we finally succeed in giving up the demon drink. Yes, I too always believed that I could stop when I wanted until the time that I did want to and was unable to stop! It was a shock to my system and I am ashamed to think that I have reached dependency, but it's not too late to turn our lives around.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support guys it means a lot I read the posts and it makes me more determined.I going to my first AA meeting this Sunday.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep strong - everyone has tried and failed !

I think your second post shows you are making progress - you are a alcoholic ,now you got to this stage there is no denials so brush your self down and start going again- with support of your wife you can do it!!

Best wishes :-)
Old 12-02-2012, 10:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up! If it was easy no one would ever be hung over twice. To paraphrase Kennedy, we're not defeated when we falter, we're defeated only when we give up. Try to see why you drank. Try AA. Use every resource you can find to defeat the enemy that is alcohol. Be merciless in your fight because you know that the booze will be merciless!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey I'll tell you why I admire you -

1.) you're not giving up
2.) going to first AA meeting
3.) admitting you have a problem

Believe it or not you're miles ahead of so many people! Some of us never recover! You still have a chance. A good one. Keep asking for help, it will come to you. "When the student is ready the teacher will appear" right?

Hang on! You'll be ok!